Author Topic: Help needed tracking down Palmer family  (Read 5762 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help needed tracking down Palmer family
« on: Tuesday 05 February 08 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to track down a branch of my Palmer family in Selkirkshire.

John Palmer married Jane Brown in 1863 Galashiels.
They had 3 children: Mary Palmer b 1863 Kirkhope; Gideon Palmer b 1865 Kirkhope, and Margaret Palmer b 1866 Kirkhope.

After the death of Jane, John married Ann McKenzie in 1867. They had 6 children: Christina Palmer, b 1867 Kirkhope; Jane Palmer, b1867 Kirkhope; Alexander Palmer b 1869 Kirkhope; John Palmer,b 1869 Kirkhope; Ann Palmer, b 1871 Kirkhope; Margaret Palmer, b 1867 Kirkhope.

Of the first 3, Margaret does not appear on the census at all (that I could find), but her birth appears on the IGI. Cannot find a death for her on SP. Mary lived with an aunt and uncle, but I cannot find her in 1901. Gideon lived with his father, then was in another household as a lodger in 1891. I can't find a marriage or death for him, nor can I find him in 1901.

Ann's children:
Christina only appears on the 1871. Cannot find a death or marriage.
Jane - cannot find her in 1901 or a death or marriage
Alexander - cannot find him in 1901
John - cannot find him in 1891 or 1901
Ann - cannot find her in 1891 or 1901
Margaret - cannot find he r in 1891 or 1901

I would guess the first Margaret died in infancy as her half sister had the same name.

Would appreciate any help finding any of these

Thanks
Julie

BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed tracking down Palmer family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
In Yarrow Kirkyard there is the following Mon.Inscription"Row 6 " In memory of Mary PURDIE spouse to William BROWN who died Brockhill 24th April 1857 aged 57yrs    also Susan BROWN their daughter who died at Brockhill 5th July 1860 aged 32yrs ,the above William BROWN who died at Brockhill 23rd July 1872 aged 94yrs JANET BROWN wife of JOHN PALMER wqho died at Ettrickbridge 4th July 1806 aged 34yrs MARY BROWN died at Galashiels 4th January 1874 aged 47yrs and is buried in Ladhope Cemetery(galashiels)
There are no other Palmers listed at Yarrow Kirkyard and Kirkhope Cemetery has never been listed to my knowledge.Hope this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 07:47 BST (UK) »
 :D
Thanks  very much. ;D
Is the death of Janet Brown in 1806 a typo?
Julie
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
No Julie the MIs for Yarrow Churchyard shows 1806 aged 34yrs. I keep a copy of MIs for Yarrow Ettrick St Marys Ashkirk Lindean and all of Selkirk
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Curious?! Considering the other dates on the stone it could be an error in the original transcription..  If it's my Jane she should have died in 1866, as she had a child that year and John Palmer married again in 1867.

This is only a little side branch on my family tree - I get attracted to all the families with a Gideon Palmer in them, as that was my g-g-grandfather's name and it's quite unusual.

Thanks for your help
Julie

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
Julie,

Go into SP death search put in the following:
Surname    Palmer
First name  Christ*
year range 1878 to 1878
birth year 1868
County  Selkirk
District Kirkhope
There is only one I think you might find it's your missing Christina

Good luck

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

On SP there is also 1 Gideon Palmer dying in 1895 born 1865 +or - 1 year aged 29 or have you tried this one?

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again Julie,

There is also a marriage in 1893 for a Gideon Palmer. I tried Selkirk but when that didn't come up I tried Dumfries as many people went from Selkirkshire to Dumfriesshire for work and that was where the death was. Possibly you have looked at all these thought it worth a try though.

Terry

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry
Thanks for your help. That inspired me to look up every Gideon Palmer on SP.
I already had the Dms marriage - that was my gg grandad.
Gideon Palmer of Kirkhope did indeed die aged 29. Angina, which he had for 8 yrs.
The search also threw up a new generation and a couple of bits of info on other branches. Will absorb all that before I get back to Christina and the rest of the family.
Thanks again
Julie