Author Topic: Has anyone had an Ancestry DNA test?  (Read 5951 times)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Has anyone had an Ancestry DNA test?
« on: Wednesday 06 February 08 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Were you happy with it?

Have you managed to obtain any matches/near matches from their database?

John

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone had an Ancestry DNA test?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 08 04:22 GMT (UK) »
John, you've asked the very question that I've been meaning to ask for a while. The only thing I've seen about about this testing is on the web-site by a chap named Alan Hardisty who is compiling a data-base of all the Hardisty's around the world and he said on his web-site that he had one done.  I haven't gone back to visit the thread he started for a while, but he was asking for reports from all those who had the DNA testing done and what the outcome had been.  If you want to have a look his URL is

http://www.hardistyfamilytree.com

Alan will be happy to discuss any queries you have, I found him very helpful

kind regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,  Sorry I didn't reply earlier.  Thank you very much for the info, I will pop off and have a look at the link.

John

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 08 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I Have not done the Ancestry DNA test,My son bought me the Genographic Project kit for christmas, still waiting for the results. I will let you know when I recieve them, knowing my luck, it will say I became extinct 5 million years ago. Best wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 08 03:18 GMT (UK) »
I have not heard of this.
Do you mean Ancestry as in ancestry.com or is this a different thing?
I would be very interested in giving it a try, provided their database is large enough to make a good result likely (and if it's not too expensive!).

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 08 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Belinda,

Yes it is advertised on Ancestry.com.  As mentioned in my previous post there is an Alan Hardisty who is tracking the results for his Hardisty line on his web-site.  His test was inconclusive and he had bought a test for someone else purporting to be from a Hardisty ancestor from the 1500s.

It is expensive enough, that I would want to be sure about the validity of the results, but it sounds very interesting, just maybe needs more people in the data-base than there is at the moment.

You can check out Alan's initiative at the web-site I listed above, to track their test results as they come in.

Cheer,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill,
I will check it out.

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 April 21 00:59 BST (UK) »
I had the Ancestry.Com DNA test about a year ago. Had a few matches, like 4th cousins etc, but nothing close. I took a AU$50 deal for a month at a higher search level, but not that great, got a few immigration records, checked a few census stuff etc, but they want you to keep upgrading higher. my one month trial finishes next week, won't pay for another one.  I am in Australia and only have siblings here, plus the usual kids and grandkids, born here. Few Aunts in England and a half sister, not much to trace really, but have traced my family line back to 1750 on mother and father's side, both deceased. But when you you come from Carter and Butcher lines, there are zillions of them, lol. Take care all.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 April 21 04:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I recommend beginning with ancestry dna test. They have the largest database of tested individuals. You can then download your dna file and upload it to My Heritage and FTDNA for free and expand your potential matches further. Ancestry has over 15 million tests.