Author Topic: Has anyone had an Ancestry DNA test?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone had an Ancestry DNA test?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 21 05:53 BST (UK) »
This thread is about 13 years old NSWP, so replies may not be relevant as things have changed over the years. John may already have taken the test some time in the past decade.

If so, it will be interesting to see how he got on.  :)

Just to add to JohnDoe’s reply - uploading raw data to FTDNA and My Heritage is free, but there is a cost involved to access certain features.

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 April 21 07:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I did not realise it was such an old thread.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 April 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
John was logged in recently, so he should get notification of your reply. It’s always good to find out how people got on after posting their original questions.  :)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have had an Ancestry dna test and am very dubious about the results. Their initial assertion was that my dna was 96% English, 2% Irish and 2% Scandinavian. although the Scandinavian bit surprised me slightly I reasoned thar it was so small as to probably date back into the mists of time. The Iriash component seems to have come from my father's maternal grandfather

Over time Ancestry's estimates changed. I lost my 2% Viking and a couple of percent English in favour of 4% northern European, which I considered reasonable as their database grew and became potentially more accurate.

Then, recently, my belief in Ancestry dna tests was blown right out of the water. I had my Scandinavian dna back, this time ascribed at 3% to Sweden but my English component had plummeted to 70% along with a Scottish estimate of 25% and 2% undefined.

I have been researching for about 20 years and have identified all of my ancestors as having come from Warwickshire and Leicestershire right back to 1640. I have over 12,000 names on my tree, not one of whom, so far as I have been able to determine, has ever set foot in Scotland, let alone been born there. Furthermore, a figure of 25% would appear to suggest a fairly recent Scottish ancestor and I can be absolutely certain of the English origins of all of my grandparents, great grandparents and several earlier layers of ancestry.

Just to make matters more interesting, the original information provided ny Ancestry even got my eye colour wrong.

All of this said, the test has proven worthwhile as it has connected me with a wide variety of hitherto unknown relatives, many of whom have been able to further widen my knowledge.

Keith

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
Try this film.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hbE4Vihf4g

I have a similar problem. I have no knowledge of the origin of 10% of a certain ethnicity, but a similar DNA match (13.5cM, largest segment 7.3cM) informed that his ancestors arrived into the town where my maternal grandparents were born, and I am finding it hard to accept, but it seems that one of my grandparents was fathered out of wedlock by one of his ancestors.  There MIGHT be another connection, another common ancestor, but the time and location seem incontrovertible.  I also have the same match with my match's mother.  I do accept incredible coincidences do happen.

Study the documents, but DNA doesn't lie, it just has various interpretations.  You only need one illicit relationship to ruin a vast amount of research.

Zaph, older but wiser.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
Ethnic percentages are a guide only. You are probably wasting your time trying to find that ancestor who gave you your 2% X Ethnicity, especially as they may disappear at the next update.

There is a lot on the internet about the accuracy, or not, of these percentages. Just one example:
https://familyhistorydaily.com/genealogy-help-and-how-to/understanding-dna-results/

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 April 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, Yes I've read that and I totally agree. However my surprising 10% (not 2%) matches the 10% from my DNA match who is 3 or four Generations down from what was probably 100%. Combined with the fact that his grandfather or great-grandfather started a business, thousands of miles away, in the street next to where my grandparents were born, in the same year, is very hard to ignore. Yes, it could be coincidence, and I've had some surprising coincidences in my life, but if I am not making the right assumption then something even more bizarre will be the the true assessment.
  I will admit to not being QUITE sure of this to spring it on my older family members. I'm not even going to give them the evidence, and let them make their own interpretation of the facts.

Zaph

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 April 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
My example of 2% was not aimed at you specifically Zaphod. Questions about ethnicity percentages are a recurring topic on rootschat, with many people looking to find which ancestor they got their tiny X% ethnicity from.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 April 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
I'm not at all concerned about 2%. As Ruskie says, it may well disappear at the next update.  What does concern me is the downright ridiculous suggestion that I have 25% Scottish dna. My English lineage is so well documented as to completely preclude any possibility of such a high percentage being accurate.

Keith