Author Topic: Marriage lookup request  (Read 1446 times)

Offline ms_j_a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Anne Gwenvron Parry 1901-1993
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup request
« on: Friday 08 February 08 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I have located several possibilities for the marriage of Edward Williams and Ann Jones.  Both Edward Williams b. c1835 Amlwch and Ann Jones b.c1835 Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf were born in Wales (birth years calculated from Census'), but I found them living in Liverpool from 1851 onwards.  I don't know if they were wed in Wales or in England.  I did a search on the marriage possiblities, and there are quite a few to choose from, so I am not sure which direction to go or which certificate to order. If anyone is going to the records office and could possibly inquire for me, that would be wonderful. Here is the list I retrieved from freebmd
I did the search from 1857 to 1860 as their first child Owen was born in Liverpool 1859. The Lancashire board is closed at the moment for organization, I will post there also if needed when it is up and running again.
Thank you so much,
June-Anne

June 1857
Jones    Anne         St Asaph    11b   654
Williams    Edward         St Asaph    11b   654

Sep 1857
Jones    Anne        Holywell    11b   382
Williams    Edward         Holywell    11b   382

Dec 1857
Jones    Ann         Liverpool    8b   171
Williams    Edward         Liverpool    8b   171

Sep 1858
Jones    Ann         Liverpool    8b   187
Jones    Anne         Liverpool    8b   187
Williams    Edward         Liverpool    8b   187

Dec 1858
Jones    Ann         Merthyr Tydfil    11a   435
Williams    Edward         Merthyr Tydfil    11a   435
Cushingham, Jones, Parry, Pearce, Williams, Reid, McLean, McDonald, Black, Morrison

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 08 13:03 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificates cannot be searched from the gro indexes. The registrars don't allow it.

Try lancsbmd, it'll at least pair up correctly if they are on there, rather than the 50/50 from freebmd.
You may even be able to view the parish registers, cheaper than a GRO copy certificate.
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

the other side to the question is; how will you know which ones are 'yours' anyway?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ms_j_a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the thoughts on that.  I did look at the lancashirebmd, and they at least narrowed it down to one in Liverpool

WILLIAMS    Edward   JONES Ann Liverpool, St. David Liverpool   2099LP/5/382 .  I am now on the hunt to see if I can find any parish records listed online, and again am not certain they were married in Liverpool or Wales, but it definitely narrows it down a bit  thank you!

In answer to your second quesion, a good one :)  I figured since census information gives them both being approximately the same age....that what are the chances of more than one set of Edward Williams and Ann Jones matching that criteria and hopefully places of birth would also be included.   
Cushingham, Jones, Parry, Pearce, Williams, Reid, McLean, McDonald, Black, Morrison

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
You won't get places of birth on marriage certificates.  You will get the names of the fathers, so that is a checking point if you have them from the census returns.

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ms_j_a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 08 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, of course you're right about the birth places.  I do know that Ann Jones' fathers name was Owen and he was a farmer or Ag. Labourer :) as described in 1841 Census.  Problem is how many Owen Jones' in North Wales named their daughter Ann lol.  I have a hunch that Edward's father was Lewis Williams.  My first niggle on this was that names of his possible 2 sisters Elizabeth and Martha that I found on  the Amlwch History Site under St Eleth Church, as well as his father's name Lewis and mother Elizabeth, as all of Edwards children have the same names.  I know that this cannot be cut in stone, but the family naming thing was/is popular. Edward and Ann's childrens names were Owen,  Elizabeth Ann, Edward, Lewis, Martha, Eleanor, Ann, a second Elizabeth and Thomas. Hopefully my thoughts on this pan out.