Author Topic: GenesReunited advice needed  (Read 10256 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited advice needed
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 29 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I entirely agree that you should be cautious before opening your tree to anyone on Genes.

Any real researcher should either tell you why they want to see your tree upfront, or if for some reason they don't do that, should answer your query about what they're looking for.  Why not?

There is someone on Genes who is remotely connected to me, and when I opened my tree he simply copied all the names, connected or not connected to him - after all why does he want all my partner's family?

After that I did all my tree work on Ancestry, where I have a private tree, and I only invite people to the Ancestry tree.  Even so, whenever I search on Ancestry for connections, this man's tree pops up with all the wrong details I originally had!!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 30 November 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
There is someone on Genes who is remotely connected to me, and when I opened my tree he simply copied all the names, connected or not connected to him - after all why does he want all my partner's family?

I agree with Igor - people who talk about researchers being paranoid have missed the point. I used to keep my very large tree on Genes, and shared it with anyone who seemed connected, but Igor's experience was also mine. I was quite happy for her to copy all my research for the branch of my tree that overlapped hers - after all, I've had loads of help from other people. I'd also spend a lot of time copying info from BMDs for people who are interested. Sharing info on your family is one of the best parts of genealogy.

However, this one person on Genes copied my entire tree - this was huge, and must have taken her ages (although someone suggested she may have used a digital camera to aid the attempt). But this tree included the families of my children's partners - which I've done so my grandchildren will know both sides of their family, not just mine. It also included the entire tree of my aunt by marriage - again done as a favour to her. These people are no relation of mine, so couldn't possibly be of interest to the Genes researcher. This was a couple of years ago, and since then this person has clearly opened her tree to all and sundry, and I keep finding my research on public sites on the Internet. I know it's mine because a big mistake I made at the beginning is now immortalised on all sorts of genealogy sites!

So Igor I agree wholeheartedly with you, and will keep repeating this message so other people will be wary.

Offline wood.mjm

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 01 December 08 10:58 GMT (UK) »

I too have encountered folk on GU who appear to want to collect the names of anyone vaguely connected to them and I agree it is an irritation. However, they haven't done any harm as far as I can see so I'm prepared to live and let live. I suppose I could delete the 'name collectors' from the 'my contacts' bit but I can't be bothered. GU has provided me with some very useful leads and has put me in contact with family members so I'm prepared to put up with this minor irritation and stick with it. I'm certainly not going to get my bowels in a knot about these people.

Woody.
Wood-Leeds.   Jagger/Charlesworth/Exley- Crigglestone. Sheard- Leeds.   Foulds-Sutton-on-Trent.   Cooper/Hull- Dorking.   Dunstone-Chiswick.   Claridge -Berkshire.

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 01 December 08 19:55 GMT (UK) »
My opinion for what it is worth which isn't much really  ;) Information comes from the strangest sources, so follow them all but be prepared to share.  I keep a little tree on GR and don't pay subs.  I get contacts and once we establish we have a real link I offer to open my Ancestry tree (pics certs the lot)  if the person is forthcoming and willing to go with it and share.  If I know it is a positive link once I fish about a bit but I don't feel the good vibrations I let them view my little GR tree, because I don't believe it is worth being mean (even though I have spent a flipping fortune), if I can help.
Sometimes you have to cast your brancehs wide, as someone may just have that illusive info or pic you do not, or you may have their Aunt fanny sitting on a wedding pic at your G Aunty Flos' reception, some of my best swaps have been with distant twigs.
What I do find though is a lot of people on GR willing to open their tree and have done so on the initial PM, very trusting of them so it is.
I have been blessed with some fantastic contacts, and hope I have been equaly good for them.
I have pics of nearly all my G Grandparents now and one GG, thanks to contacts.
Be cautious be helpful but also be understanding, not everyone knows how to go about the building of a tree.  One lady lately took about 2 months to convince she was not related even after I showed certs and all sorts to prove it, but bless her when she finaly admitted she was wrong and needed to start again she said "I think I just so wanted to have your tree family as mine they look so lovely" 
I so wish I could have obliged  :)
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,