Author Topic: O'Rourkes to Dundee  (Read 4086 times)

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grand father James Plowman of Wick Caithness
    • View Profile
O'Rourkes to Dundee
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Am tracing the roots of my adopted daughter Her 4 x great grand parents were Thomas O'Rourke and Bridget O' Hannigan . Thomas  is described as a " land steward " on the death cert of his son . I believe that the may have  come from Co Leitrim Their son Matthew O'Rourke moved to Dundee in Angus  about the mid 19th century . Stumbling about in the dark !

Col in Crieff Perthshire
Lamont Nicol Plowman Cormack Begg Leith Bremner Sharp Cram Barr McFarlane Mayall Hutcheson Hutchison

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Rourkes to Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
No passenger lists were kept for people travelling between Ireland and Scotland as both were part of U.K.
To trace the family back in Ireland you'll need more than the name of the county (parish if not actual townland to search records- if they still exist).
Did Thomas O'Rourke and Bridget O'Hannigan die in Scotland? If so their death certificates may provide more clues.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grand father James Plowman of Wick Caithness
    • View Profile
Re: O'Rourkes to Dundee
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »

Did Thomas O'Rourke and Bridget O'Hannigan die in Scotland? If so their death certificates may provide more clues

I presume they died in Ireland  - the info coms from the  marriage cert of son Matthew in Dundee . N o evidence that they ever  left Ireland Thanks for the effort

Col
Lamont Nicol Plowman Cormack Begg Leith Bremner Sharp Cram Barr McFarlane Mayall Hutcheson Hutchison