Author Topic: Convent in Islington/St Pancras - COMPLETED  (Read 7040 times)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Convent in Islington/St Pancras - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 08 January 05 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

apparently my great grandmother used to do the laundry 'for the nuns'.  This is a lead I would like to explore, but have been unsuccessful finding any refernces to a convent in the area.  She lived in Islington/St Pancras to the east of Kings Cross around Penton St area.  Does anyone know of any convent that exists/existed in this area.

Many thanks

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Convent in Islington/St Pancras
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
This is from the Sisters of Notre Dame
The first foundation in Great Britain opened at Penryn in Cornwall in 1845 and relocated to London in 1848. During the 1850's, in quick succession, foundations opened in Liverpool, Manchester, and Sheffield. In order to meet the demands for teachers in these urban areas, the sisters opened a training college at Mt. Pleasant in Liverpool in 1856.

20:58Subject: Convents
>Can sks supply if known a list of convents in East London, or at least
point me in the direction to look.

At what period - mediæval, Tudor, 19th cent, nowadays?
For the 16th cent - the Valor Ecclesiasticus gives those about to be
dissolved by Henry VIII.
For the 19th & 20th century - Peter ANSON's book The Call of the Cloister is
the standard reference work for Anglican religious houses - and for Roman
Catholic ones the annual piblication the Catholic Directory for England &
Wales(began 1839) contains details of them all .

Not sure if any of the above help?
Cougar

Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cougar

The period I am talking about is around 1910-1920.  As far as I was aware 'nuns' (at that time) only existed within the Catholic church.  (If I am wrong then perhaps someone will let me know.)  I will try and track down the Catholic Directory for England and Wales and see if that gives me the answer.

Thanks for your help

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I went wandering through the 1800's.

If you don't find anything - check with the council - they will have a website and an archivist who should be able to give you an answer.   If you don't live nearby send an email.
Cheers Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline laineychr

• RootsChat Extra
  • i advance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi EC,

When I was a child I went to St Aloysius R C infant school Phoenix Rd Sommers town, (Which is between kings X & Euston.)  To the right of the school is St Aloysius church and to the left Maria Fidelis Convent school.
I think the nun's lived there because they all disappeared in through the main door at home time.

Hope this is of some help

Elaine
Bartram. middx limehouse, st pancras, islington, Berwick-upon-Tweed, northumberland.
Webb. middx,
Hanwell. marylebone, St Pancras
Easton. Stepney middx.
Richards. Stepney
Baker. Kent
Wilson. Kent!
McKinney,McMullan: rasharkin antrim.
Scott. county cork,Ireland & ST Pancras Middlesex London

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 January 05 00:36 GMT (UK) »
A very common misconception about nuns. There have always been orders of nuns within the Anglican church.
I copy this to you:
Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary founded St. Pelagia's Home, nos. 25 and 27 Bickerton Road, Upper Holloway, in 1889 for mothers with illegitimate children. Chapel reg. for worship 1905. Closed c. 1924, and moved to no. 34 West Hill, Highgate. (Footnote 96)
Convent of Discalced Carmelites, at no. 64 Highbury Pk. from St. John the Evangelist 1918, survived 1953. New ch. of St. Joan of Arc built on site 1962. (Footnote 97)
Augustinian Sisters of Meaux formed convent and nursing home at Bethanie, no. 12 Hornsey Lane, 1922, for chronic invalids and convalescents. (Footnote 98)
Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood opened maternity home at no. 31 Highbury Hill, connected with the Crusade of Rescue in 1940s. Closed by 1966

Source: Islington: Roman Catholicism. A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume VIII, Patricia Croot (1985).
URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=8886
Date: 27/01/2005
© Copyright 2003-2005 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magsann7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent in Islington/St Pancras - COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 20 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have very little to go one regarding my Grandmother Dorothy Henrietta Tennant, born 1905 in Islington, who somehow caused the death of her baby sibling during a bath. She may have been around the age of 10 to 15 and was placed in a Convent presumably nearby. She learnt to make the most exquisite crochet some of which l still have. Only one family member who is is their 80's remembers her Mother (sister of Dorothy) mentioning the fact but we would love to find out more and hopefully set the records straight. Some pointers would be very much appreciated. 8)