Author Topic: Parlane in Kippen  (Read 22944 times)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parlane in Kippen
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 01 March 08 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dave.
I have a brick wall or two I'll be tossing your way shortly - hope you'll be able to help!
Rob I've pm'd you .
Great site this - can't believe I took so long to find it!
Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 07 December 08 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Do not know when this thread was started, but it has all been VERY interesting especially when I picked up things for myself.
Do not know (now) who posted the MI's for Robert Parlane and Jean McGlashen but they are in my line, they also had a son Duncan c1825 I only have him born c1825 in Perthshire, Duncan married Jean McKay who was the daughter of Alexander McKay my g/g/g/grandfather.
Have the birthplace of Robert Parlane born c1797 at Newkirkpatrick (can't remember where I got the info  ???
Well this has given me somethng to do on a very hot and muggy Sunday afternoon.
Thank-you ..patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline snooki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 05 November 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James and Elizabeth look right as just spoken to a relative who said that  Harvies, witnesses to the twins' register entry, farmed for years at the Heights farm which is the neighbouring property to Thirds Farm.

[hi tracey
i was looking at your notes 2008. If you don't mind could you pass on (source) as to" Harvies farmed at Heights ?"

My 3x gr grandfather James Harvie was (1841, 1851 census) farmer of 40acres at Wester Heights and his 11 children were all born at Heights 1814-1834.

snooki]

Offline snooki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 05 November 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James and Elizabeth look right as just spoken to a relative who said that  Harvies, witnesses to the twins' register entry, farmed for years at the Heights farm which is the neighbouring property to Thirds Farm.

[hi tracey
i was looking at your notes 2008. If you don't mind could you pass on (source) as to" Harvies farmed at Heights ?"

My 3x gr grandfather James Harvie was (1841, 1851 census) farmer of 40acres at Wester Heights and his 11 children were all born at Heights 1814-1834.

snooki]
[/sorry still learning how to use the site]

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Robert McLuckie born in 1730 seems to have been the same one who married Elizabeth Carrick in 1761, at Kippen. Alternatively the Robert born in 1722, at Kippen, to Patrick McLuckie may be the spouse but Patrick never shows up again in my tree so I prefer the 1730 match. Elizabeth seems to have been the daughter of an Andrew Carrick and Margaret Gilfillan/Gilfilland. She was one of 11 children to that couple. Can't trace any further back. Except for a vague guess through the naming pattern as to Andrew's parents; a John Carrict and Janet Clidsdaill are shown in Glasgow marrying in 1665. Perhaps they are Andrew's parents, but it is pure speculation to me. The Leckie family are interesting, and the reference given on this thread to a Walter Leckie from 1618 is fascinating. Quite probably, he is an ancestor or relation somewhere back in these lines. Possibly it will be possible to trace them back a little further. I did look into Andrew McLuckie, son of Robert and Janet Leckie also. He seems to have had a son William (born 1797). William was one of the South African pioneers, and there is even a photograph of him to be found online. The family must have been relatively well off. Further down, via Robert McLuckie who married Elizabeth Carrick, you may find a Robert McLuckie who lived in Australia and was Mayor of Hamilton. So there are a
few interesting finds in the family.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Very quick glance at online trees, reveals that Walter Leckie of Dasher (circa 1618) who was mentioned earlier on in the forum, is quite probably of the ancient line of Leckies that can trace back to the Middle Ages. Just search on Google "Walter Leckie of Dasher" and you'll find plenty of information. Ultimately, as with most aristocratic lines in the UK, it links in with Anglo-Saxon Royalty and Scots Royalty. So you could, in principle, work this back to the AD 500s if you so wished. The only problem is there doesn't seem an obvious link between Walter Leckie - proposed father of Janet Leckie - and Walter Leckie of Dasher. Speculating, with the rough dates in mind, perhaps Walter of Dasher was a grandfather or great-grandfather to Janet's father. However, whatever the case, I am pretty certain the Leckies probably tie up in this ancient line. Considering they're found in this same area it makes sense, and also the phrases found in records like "Leckie of Leckie", it's really just a question of how many generations you'd have to trawl back to find a link. That's probably the best we can do for now.