Author Topic: My Irish names  (Read 11506 times)

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
My Irish names
« on: Wednesday 31 March 04 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, Am searching for info on some of  my Irish names..
CLENDINNING/CLENDENNING
SMITH
O'DONNELL/MCDONNELL/MCDONALD
------------------------------------
  George CLENDINNING born circa 1805/6  Nth Ireland, and prior to immigrating to Australia(1854), lived in   " the  County Donegal in the town of Pettego,which is mainly in the County Fermanagh, but extends across the Mill Stream into Donegal.The Clendinning family lived on the Donegal side in "the first house across the Mill Stream".  George and wife Sarah O'DONNELL/MCDONNELL/MCDONALD  had 7 son's and one daughter when they came to Australia in 1854 aboard the "SABRINA".  I don't know when George and Sarah married, but was possibly  circa 1833/5ish. (eldest son William born 1835)  I know George's parents were William CLENDINNING/CLENDENNING and Fanny SMITH.   Sarah O'DONNELL/MCDONNELL/MCDONALD's parents were Matthew and Elizabeth.  Sarah born circa 1815.  Any help or advise greatly appreciated.   Thank you.
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: My Irish names
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,  No, I've gotten no further with this lot. ???  :'( :'(Honestly can't think of anything else that might help. All I know is the Clendinning family that came to Australia lived in Pettigo, and of course that they came to Aust in 1854 aboard the "SABRINA".  Also know a "cousin"  of George Clendinning
 John Hudson Keys , who was superintendant of a "station" here in Australia for Colonel Henry Dumaresq , sponsored the family, and a number of other families.
      I don't know what to do, to search for this family's records. Of course, what  makes it hard is the variations of spelling for the name Clendinning! Thank you for your reply. Cheers! FindingAncestors=== Well, trying to!
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your LAWS in Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ticker, Just noticed your surnames. I have LAWS from Norfolk. I realise it's not an uncommon surname, but what the heck.  I have a Mary LAWS born circa 1797 in East Winch. Her parents were Thomas LAWS and Sarah ?. both of whom I know nothing. Mary LAWS married William MOORE in 1822  Congham, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England.  Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, perhaps there is a connection, or you know something of the LAWS families in Norfolk. Cheers!

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for letting me know about your Laws connection.  They don't seem to link in with mine, but I'll keep the details handy just in case.  Appreciate you telling me.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 December 04 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello F.A. I popped into Ireland to find something and saw your post. Have you been on Family Search org ???
If not go to it, then I.G.I Put the surename only.Then United Kingdom,Ireland, no county. you will come up with a few Glendinning's as there are so few you might find a connection. Let us know if you do :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello F.A. I popped into Ireland to find something and saw your post. Have you been on Family Search org ???
If not go to it, then I.G.I Put the surename only.Then United Kingdom,Ireland, no county. you will come up with a few Glendinning's as there are so few you might find a connection. Let us know if you do :)

Celia
     Hi Celia, Thanks for the tip! I'll go and have a look. Cheers! and Season's Greetings. FA  ;)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 14:50 GMT (UK) »
F. A .   I   forget to say that as well as in Ireland there are also a lot of other Glendenning's in the U.K that might come useful at a later date. To bring these up do the same with just the surname, but this time just use Use United Kingdom only. If i remember rightly there were a lot. At the bottom left of the page you will see next ( You might go on forever ;D) I gave up after 8 pages :)
What is it you want you know? you haven actually said  ;D Not that i can help in Ireland but somebody might
Happy Hunting

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Not meaning to make things more complicated but there are also Glendinnings in Jersey and the surname Dumaresq was mentioned in relation to sponorahip for the familiy to Australia. which also hails from Jersey.

At one time there was a large Irish community on the island which did venture for one reason or another  to various destinations such as Australia and Nova Scotia.

It may be worth checking out  the Channel Islands section here in Rooschat where there is a link leading to to a Glendinning home page.

Good Luck

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk