Author Topic: Miley Connell - 1798 at Derrynamuck  (Read 6438 times)

Offline Marde

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miley Connell - 1798 at Derrynamuck
« on: Sunday 10 February 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Miley Connell was in the cottage in 1798 that Michael Dwyer/Sam McAllister entered at Derrynamuck.  The Connell family was released unharmed.  I am looking for any information regarding the Connell family.   My gg grandmother is Mary Connell who married Benjamin Redmond Ryan about 1826 and had 10 children all baptized in Hacketstown.  Mary had a brother Miles Connell.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Miley Connell - 1798 at Derrynamuck
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 08 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Marde,

It looks as though the Connell family moved from Derrymuck in the Parish of Donaghmore prior to Griffiths Valuation taking place in 1852-1853.  The Valuations are on John Hayes site ... www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/wicklow/donaghmore.htm

You'll have to rely on Church records as your ancestors were born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMs started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

If the family were tenants on an estate then they may be mentioned in Estate Records as well as Church Records. Some of these records give a reasonable amount of information about tenants.

Christopher

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miley Connell - 1798 at Derrynamuck
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My ggg grandmother Frances O'Connell was from Hacketstown.  She was born c. 1813 and we believe her father's name was Miles O'Connell.  We do not know her mother's name. 

Do you think it is possible that this might be the same family?

Frances O'Connell married NIcholas O'Toole of Scotland, Hacketstown. 

Please let me know if you think there may be a connection.

Thanks very much,

Shane