Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67676 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Good morning csc, it is going to take me some time to digest and interpret all the information you have given me to date. In the meantime would you like to have a look at the following data relating to my line. The earliest individuals i have dates for are James Kerr born about 1718 he died in 1789 and is buried in Mouswald Kirkyard. He married Martha Moffat born 1728 died 1803 they lived at Cleughbrae but I think for some time lived in Collin where they had a couple of children, Thomas Kerr born 1773 and James born 1771. Their first child was Robert who was born in 1754 at Mouswald, it is him that I have been searching for. John Kerr was born in 1756 at Mouswald Banks he married Jean Tweedie and was a blacksmith. Joseph Kerr died in infancy. Rachel was born in 1762 and died in 1832 at Cleughbrae, she was sigle. I have gleaned a lot of information from her will such as relating to her brother John he lived at Under Butterwhat in the parish of Dalton and had a son James. Her brother James lived at Elizafield in the parish of Torthorwald. Next is her brother George born 1761 farmed at Mouswald Banks died in 1826 at Racks married to Mary Tweedie she died in 1850 at Elizafield. They had several children mentioned in the will including William born in 1787 at Mouswald died at Birset in 1854 . Agnes I think was born in 1785 as Aggy She died at Elizafield in 1858. She mentions a Mary Kerr, widow of John Foster of Annan, Ithink she was another daughter of George if so she was born in 1795 at Mouswald. She makes mention of a brother William who had a son George a tailor in Dumfries. I have not been able to trace the tailor to date or indeed establish a birth date for William. There is a lot more to follow should any of this be relevant to you. regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
i am going to have a look at all this info i think my george is on the outskirts of t his family as they went back and forth between elizafield mouswald banks and wath the kerr names in my family are lots of johns georges  francis robert archibald edward william the birth records are very sketchy and census records are a few years out according to the birth certificates young george who was described as an idiot in the census was probably a boy with learning difficulties and his mother would go back near the family so that they could help just as we  would now a lot of my kerrs are now in gretna have got lots more to ask you about  thanks csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi csc ask as many questions as you have to, regards stoop. Question, do you live in the Mouswald area?, how far back have you been able to go with your research?.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
i live near park farm on the new abbey road dumfries and george is as far back on kerr side and benjamin bell in ruthwell churchyard marys grandfateher on bell side margaret sparks as far back on my grandfathers side and on my mothers side drevers and cursiters about the same length dad was a prisoner of war and  he was stationed in orkney when he came back only started this a few years back i have a sister who is as keen as i am akc thanks csc

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoop and csc,

A little of topic and I apologise, but I refer to your post, csc, in respect to your George Kerr and Mary Dickson.  Do you know who Mary's parents were?  and the timeframe we are talking about as I have been for awhile been trying to piece together the various Dickson families in the Mouswald area just as you are with the Kerr's.  My Dicksons were from the village and also occupied the smithy at Woodside for at least the 19th & early 20th Centuries, possibly earlier.

I also have another Kerr question, I have in my tree Thomas Kerr,  Mary Hutchison and their daughter Margaret was born c1830 and died 1849, 6 months after being married to Charles Jardine, who in turn remarried  to Jane Dickson in 1851, sister of my 2G Grandfather Jacob Dickson.  Do you, in your research of the Kerr's, have any info on this Kerr family.  I believe Margaret died at Elizafield.  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mick Dickson
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
hi mick i have been in touch with you before on a different e mail  my grannys sister was jeannie hutchison kerr born at elizafield my great gran mary agnes had 4 children not a man in sight he must have fled but it doesnt matter now mr stoop appears to share the kerrs with me my 4xgrandad francis is right next to george kerr mouswald banks in the cemetery his father was george i am trying to find out his parents his mother mary dickson we thought she might be the daughter of thomasdickson and margaret swan as the name swan is in the family if she is that mary she had a twin brother and her parents are buried dalton not far from george kerr and tabitha moffat i intend visiting little dalton churchyard soon but will wait until some of my family can go in case it is creepy your name is associated with some of the little books in fhs thanks csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
hi mick just an addition after i sent your reply margaret was the daughter of the joiner at elizafield  her parents are buried in the family grave at mouswald this family are related to the kerrs mouswald banks and cleuchbrae and birset i thought the hutchison connection came from the swan family but on hindsight it has likely come from here i have always thought granny is connected to this family of kerrs other people are providing me with info i was looking for csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Good morning csc, I lived in Greenbrae Loaning until I was 14 and that has helped enormously regarding my knowledge of the surrounding area I try to visit Dumfries at least four times a year and usually stay near Dalton village. Iam hoping to come north from Liverpool to see the events in Dumfries on the 25th. of January. Regards stoop.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick, In response to your post I cannot as yet establish a link with George Kerr and Mary Dickson nor indeed do I recognise this particular Thomas Kerr but I can inform you of the following link . Martha Kerr was born at the stoop in 1820 to one Thomas Kerr she married a James Dickson born in Mouswald about 1799 she died in 1851 he died in 1854 in New york they had the following children, James who born at Mouswald in 1845, Mary born in 1849 likewise in Mouswald and Robert born in 1847 also in Mouswald . Ihope this is of use to you. Regards stoop.