Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67838 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #198 on: Thursday 19 September 19 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just to let you know I’ve picked up on your message - I’m not on RC much these days and it’s ages since I have delved into my Scottish Nicholson’s. I’m not confident I can add anything new but I’ll have a look what I have once back home as I’m on a holiday at the moment.

I note I wrote “...the will of Jonah N. wife of Janet”. I think I meant “husband”  ::)

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NicMadge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Sunday 25 April 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
I come to this topic late.  I have only just discovered it.  I do not know if Stoop or csc are still active on this thread, but thank you for all your interesting posts.

My interest in Cleuchbrae Kerrs is that Robert Kerr (1754-1834) is my gt gt gt grandfather and James Ker/Kerr (c1718-1789) is my gr gt gt gr grandfather.

I am sure that Robert moved to Cross Canonby in Cumberland and married a Nancy Porteous there in 1796.  From then onwards he was Robert CARR (phonetically the same?)  They had children; James (1797-1874), Martha (1798-), Jane (1800-) Sarah (1803-), John (1804-) William (1806-) Eleanor (1809-) and Rachel (1813-)

He died on 11 October 1834, aged 80.

I am sure that he is the Robert born Mouswald because of (a) DNA connections to me via his mother Martha Moffatt (b) the reference in his sister Rachel's will to him being in England (c) the names of his first two children are his parent's names - also a daughter Rachel and (d) the age is right.

His wife, Nancy Porteous (not so common south of the border) may be Ann Porteous born in nearby Ruthwell on 16 MAY 1769.  Nancy is a diminutive of Ann.

I have two questions:
(i) apart from the Old Parish Registers and the Memorial Inscriptions, what records have you consulted successfully for 18th century Cleuchbrae/Mouswald Kerrs; and
(ii) on another tree, I have seen a date of birth or christening for James Kerr as 12 April 1718.  I have been unable to find any source for that.  Can any of you help?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 25 April 21 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic,

Welcome to RootsChat, yes stoop was online a few days ago he will be notified of your reply by email.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Monday 26 April 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic I will reply to you when I have digested what you and I both know to date and where we can go from here thanks stoop.

Offline NicMadge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Monday 26 April 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Stoop.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts in due course.  I have done a reasonably thorough analysis of (i) directly relevant births on Scotland's people; (ii) the memorial inscriptions as published by DGFHS; (iii) Rachel's (1762–1832) will; and (iv) Robert (1754-1834) and descendants once he crossed the border.  I don't know about any other sources.  Best wishes, Nic

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Monday 26 April 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
Will be back in touch as soon as I can. Stoop.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Monday 26 April 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic , To tell you my sources, I use ancestry.uk, Scotlands People, family search uk, rootschat uk, sometimes Gene's reunited.  Over the past seven years I have accumulated a fair amount of information regarding my Kerr roots. The following begins with my grandfather Hugh Wallace Kerr, g.g grandfather  John Kerr, ggg grandfather James Kerr gggg Thomas Kerr, then  gggggg James Kerr 1718 to 1789, gggggg James Kerr 1692 to  1718 ggggggg  another James Kerr.I will try to present any information in a more organised manner, incidentally what is your ancestry. Stoop.

Offline NicMadge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Monday 26 April 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Stoop.

1.  Do you have evidence of the baptism of James (1718 to 1789)? I have seen a date of birth or christening for James Kerr as 12 April 1718 in another tree, but it seems that may be based on a Liverpool baptism which is unlikely to be correct.   

2.  Do you have evidence of  his father James 1692 to 1718?  I understood that there are no Mouswald old parish registers that far back?

My Kerr connection is almost entirely matrilineal.  Robert 1754-1834 was my 3x gt gf.  His son James Carr 1797-1874 was my 2x gt gf, his daughter Jane Carr was my gt gm, her daughter Lucy Jane Lowe was my gm and my mother was Lucy Mildred.

Do I gather that you still live in the area of Mouswald?

Best wishes, Nic

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic ,Regarding James who was born in 1692 he married Florentina Wilson and directly from the records of Scotlands People they had the following children John 7 of April 1687 then Samuel on the 5th of April 1685,Jean on the7th April 1690 last of all there was James born on the 25th May 1692. James and Florance married in Cramond Midlothian on the 20th of April 1684. I don't know where James Ker was born only that he died on the 3rd of December 1789 aged 71 he is buried in Mouswald churchyard, his wife Martha Moffat died on the 4th of April 1802 aged 75. It does appear from records on ancestry that James was baptised in 1722 at Norfolk although he was born in 1718.Like you I need to know by evidence that my research results can be verified. Your posts have prompted me to retrace what I have found to date not surprisingly I have a number of questions. Is James Ker who died in around 1718 buried in Mouswald churchyard with his wife Martha, As yet there not a monumental inscription for them in the M.I. Mouswald book. Will get back to you soon regards stoop.