Author Topic: searching for ALICE MARIAN ROBERTS  (Read 3741 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for ALICE MARIAN ROBERTS
« on: Monday 11 February 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Alice was b 31st Jan 1878 to Charles Edward Roberts & his wife Elizabeth [nee Beattie] on Hall St, Welshpool.  They didn't keep her, but where did she go from birth until she appears on the 1891 census aged 14 working as assistant housekeeper on a farm in Guilsfield. She never appears in their household on any census. Rumour has it she "was not all there" but what was wrong with her that her parents didn't want to keep her.  She was only their 2nd child, they had 6 more sons after her. She had an illegitimate son at some point who was put up for adoption.  How can I find out when he was born & who adopted him? And info on her too???  amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: searching for ALICE MARIAN ROBERTS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 11:14 GMT (UK) »
1901 RG13/5204/33/14

Llansanffraid, Coed Mawr, Montgomeryshire

Alice Marian Roberts 23 niece, b Welshpool dom farm serv no disability shown, and she speaks English.
Richard Jones 72 farmer
Sarah 52
Frederick 34
Edwin Horstio 28
James Barker 19
Annie Marion 16
Henrietta 14
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
She may well have been with other members of the family in 1881.  Need to trace family and check them out on the census returns.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 11:34 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 there is no disability shown either.  Is this just a family story? 

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Are these the couple getting married?

March 1874 W. Derby 8b 631

Charles Edward Roberts <<<<<<<<<<
Elizabeth Beattie<<<<<<<<<<

Griffith Griffiths
Elizabeth Vickery

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you got the 1881 census reference?  Where were George and Elizabeth born, and what was the name of the previous child?

May be able to pick Alice up from other members of the family.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 08 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Silvery, I've been away & only just found your replies.  I thought they let you know when someone had replied, but obviously not!?     Yes I've got all censuses but she never appears living at home with her parents.  I have her birth cert & yes her parents were Charles Edward Roberts & Elizabeth Beattie m in W Derby 1874. By the 1891 census she's working on a farm as assistant housekeeper & I have since found & obtained the birth cert for her illegitimate daughter, it turns out, not son.  Her daughter was named Sarah Maria Roberts, no father named on the cert of course!  She was b at Deytheur Farm Guilsfield in 1901 & on that census Alice is living with her aunt & uncle & working as their dairy maid but that's at Coed Mawr. Now I don't know if Coed Mawr is the same farm as Deytheur Farm where the birth cert said Sarah Maria was born or not.  Rumour now has it that her daughter was "not all there" either, what ever this means??  And she then had an illegitimate son.    There's only one elderly man alive in the family who remembers her & she was about 50 when he was born so he only knows hearsay & this is where I've got this info from.  He doesn't know what was supposed to be wrong with her other than as he puts it she "wasn't all there".  He remembers if the family all went out they had to find a "sitter" to stay in with her, so she presumably, by the time he could remember her ,was never seen in public!!!   That's all I can offer.  Any more ideas?  Thanks for all your earlier replies that I've only just found.   Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.