Author Topic: What have you aquired during years of your research  (Read 4224 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What have you aquired during years of your research
« on: Monday 11 February 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I think i would have to stock take mine(again) because i have accumulated a lot of stuff.I spent an hour last week sorting through a box file of various papers.I have books on hand and more in another book case.Books on hand include Survivors of British Merchant seamen second world war,about cannock chase.The best of British buses Leyland,Warships & sea Battleships of ww1.Classic Cars.
Numerous disks that contain,now gone picture houses/old postcards/My photos of Church's.Plus a my own photo's in their own small album of building i knew would get demolished because they had been empty for years.They did get demolished.I have Papers of Marriage,Burials,Christening plus loads more to many to mentionThat isn't counting  all the other stuff you need,various types of paper  for the printer of which i have a draw full,various cameras and a box of leads to go with them. I recent had to buy  another unite to put my things in cos i have run out of space ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What have you aquired during years of your research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Celia,

I know I have aquired a lot of HEADACHES, EYE STRAIN and a lot more PATIENCE than I used to have.
Apart from that all the usual paraphernalia associated with hunting dead relatives.
Also some queer looks from people who just don't understand the passion

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I have loads of the queer looks, especially from relatives, which I find baffling. I have all the usual things too -- pictures, certs, newspaper articles, books on relevant geography, occupations, time periods -- but the best is the distant relatives I have "acquired." I have them from all over the world now, and some I have gotten quite close to.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
If you can "aquire" it - less money than I would have had if I hadn't started on all of this!  ;D

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Although I have been able to acquire pictures, stories, documents etc. what really leaves me wanting is if I can't find out where they are buried.  I have no idea why that would be so important to me (closure perhaps) but with what we have been reading about what is happenening to cemeteries it looks like I am in for a lot more disappointment.

An odd fixation I admit.....but it just seems really important to me.

dollylee

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Dollylee,

I get that. One of the things that I have started "collecting" due to this hobby, is funeral cards. It just happened that I got a few, and then people gave me more when they found out. It is an interesting bit of history to have but certainly an odd collection.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I know I have acquired a lot of HEADACHES, EYE STRAIN and a lot more PATIENCE than I used to have.

I forgot about that wini,i have also acquired those things, plus i have more knowledge of the area i live in.My patient does elude me at times though ::)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Kath- nothing odd about funeral cards- I have a large collection also (including a batch of about 150 that were found when someone was cleaning out an old house).
Have maps in boxes under sofa on upstairs landing, an office full of books, old photographs, computer, printer, scanner, notice board covered with bits of paper, more maps rolled up, stationary supplies, index card files...
Have also found and re-found lots of relatives and new friends. Had some wonderful holidays and days out looking for gravestones, churches, old houses, etc.
Best of all it's how I found my husband- long story but his father was in charge of the graveyard where my grandfather's family were buried (if they'd put up a headstone I probably would have taken a few photographs and gone away instead of looking for graveyard records so it the one time it was better to have no headstone!).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 13:01 GMT (UK) »
May I ask what you do with the funeral cards?  They would  be sure a treasure for the families to have but I don't have any idea how you could accomplish that without an unimaginable amount of work.

If you find one for a fellow named Ostrom....I am very anxious to find out where he died.

Rude to ask but you just never know.

dollylee