Author Topic: JONES at Fox Hall, Oswestry  (Read 5031 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
JONES at Fox Hall, Oswestry
« on: Tuesday 12 February 08 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm looking for the Jones's of Fox Hall, just outside of Oswestry, in early censuses (or should that be censii?).  They migrated to South Australia in 1854?, and I have not been able to verify there pre-migration existance in any records.

family history has it that I'm descended from Catherine Jones, born at Fox hall, Oswestry, Shropshire. I have two alternate dates 18/12/1833 and 29/1/1834. possibly one is a birth and the other a christening, or it may be two different people. Catherine's parents were John & Elizabeth Jones. That is the sum of my knowledge of the Joneses.

I actually visited Fox Hall in 1982, it is a few miles SE of Oswestry, near Aston Hall. Catherine married Thomas Edwards, who emigrated from Llanforda, Oswestry, in 1850, and I am their gt-gt-grandson on the male line.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JONES at Fox Hall, Oswestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Nudge!

I too am interested in researching a Jones family from Fox Hall, near Oswestry. Maybe our paths cross!!!

John Jones married Caroline Roberts in 1850 in Meifod, Wales. Soon after their marriage they emigrated to South Australia.

The Jones family were, I understand, farmers.

I note your posting was some four years ago, have you learnt anymore in the interum? In the course of your research, have you come across anyone with the christian name Beulah?

Best wishes

Elsie

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 04:17 BST (UK) »
Nudge

... just finished reading your "other surnames of interest". The surname Gummow is of interest to me. Were your Gummow family from Cornwall?

Elsie

Offline lobsking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
Researching Thomas Edwards that mar. Catherine Jones both from Oswestry , Shropshire . Mar . 25th Oct 1859 Adelaide , Australia , love to hear from you , Margaret Backler
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
Another link.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
The Wrexham Advertiser, (Wrexham, Wales), Saturday, June 18, 1864

BATHER.
8th. aged 68 at Hereford . Mr John Bather grandson of the late Mr T Jones, of  Fox Hall, Oswestry.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this wonderful snippet of information wilcoxon. What a great lead.

Now to find his parents ....

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 00:25 BST (UK) »
lobsking, could you make another posting please?  :)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this wonderful snippet of information wilcoxon. What a great lead.

Now to find his parents ....

The Wrexham Advertiser,Saturday, June 18, 1864
BATHER.
8th. aged 68 at Hereford . Mr John Bather grandson of the late Mr T Jones, of  Fox Hall, Oswestry.

I can`t find any reference to Fox Hall Oswestry before the 1864 death, but there is this later one .

Wrexham Advertiser,  Saturday, December 13, 1873
BATHER: On the 26th ult  aged 79 at Acorn Hall, West Derby, Mr Edward Bather son of the late Robert Bather of Fox Hall,  Oswestry.
Could Robert Bather have  married the daughter of Thomas Jones, making John (b c1796) and
 Edward (b c 1794) brothers.

Liverpool Mercury  Wednesday, June 27, 1877.
BATHER; June 25th at Acorn Hall, West Derby. Aged 80 Jane  (b c 1797) widow of Edward Bather.

The next mention of Fox Hall is Saturday, October 02, 1875 when an R Legh is there.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Vickie and I have spent time this afternoon following up on your earlier posting.

From trawling through census returns and also looking on Family Search for a Jones marriage to a Bather, I think that you are correct to suggest Robert to be the father. Thomas Jones had a daughter, Ann, who married a Robert Bather on the 11th Dec 1791 in Oswestry.

Family Search showed this couple, Robert and Ann, to have had two children - John and Edward born 1792 and 1794 respectively.

Your newspaper notices seem to confirm this information. Wow!!!

Thank you so much for finding this information for us. We are both undertaking this search from Australia and appreciate your help.