Author Topic: GRIGGS of Wickhambreaux & Sandwich  (Read 2796 times)

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRIGGS of Wickhambreaux & Sandwich
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Good to hear from you.  I have managed to trace the Griggs back to Grigg Farm, Grigg Lane in Headcorn Kent, 1470, one Roger Griggs who owned it then.  Extraordinary!
I think maybe your Richard Maxted married Mary Hougham 01/02/1800 in Ash Sandwich.  So I am guessing it was a miss spelling on the certificate.  And I have two daughters to that marriage too.  Anna b. 21/02/13 and Mary b. 19/12/1819. There are probably more but I cannot find them. 
Good luck
Gini

Offline GrannyFlower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 12 05:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gini
I'm sure you're on the right track! But now I'm really confused..... The family we have for them are
Thomas 1809
Robert 1831-1879
Robert Maxted also came to New Zealand  but we don't know when. We have his death cert.  (this is where we got the name Haffau) and a news paper clipping that states that his funeral left from the home of his brother and the address, where Thomas and Emma were living.
The birth date for Robert above is I think a guess for the age they say he was when he died but would they still be having children 31 yrs after they married?
Any help on our mystery Robert would be great.
Granny Flower

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a real puzzle and I dont think I can help. 1841C shows a Richard b. 1821 living with Thomas and Emma in Bridge.  Followed Richard b. 1821 through all census and tied in nicely with 1851 showing him living with a Richard & Mary (parents) but now an ag lab.  1861 - 1881 married to Margaret and several children.  So cannot be your Richard who died in NZ!
No other Richard of that age exists so maybe he came to NZ with his brother.  Thomas & Emma we know went to Maldon in Surrey (1851C) and then to NZ. 1841C shows him as b. 1816 (not 1809 as you have) then on the 1851C he is suddenly 47?? (b. 1803) and Emma 33 not 30??
On their marriage certificate Thomas's father is Richard.  Two Richard's exist on census as being b. 1779 one with Richard (son) b. 1821 and eventually marrying Margaret (not your Richard) and the other in the wrong area completely so not them either.  So father Richard must have died before census records started. 
As to the name Huffau,  Ancestry has the spelling Huffal (as spelt by othersresearching the Maxted's) but can find no record of a marriage with that name anywhere. Hougham is pronounced Huffam however.
The whole thing is a mess really.  Too many Maxted's in Kent with not enough information to place them in family groups. Sorry.  If you have any further information that could help I dont mind searching again.
Bye for now 

Offline GrannyFlower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
These maxteds were very confusing people My line appears to go Thomas 1748 married to Elizabeth (nee knott) son Richard married Mary Haugham? Huffal? Haffau? son Thomas m. Emma Griggs (to NZ)son Robert(NZ), and we think yet another Richard,
Thomas names eldest son Richard(NZ)
My cousin and I have decided that none of us with the surname Maxted may name their children Richard or Thomas and they can not become blacksmiths!
One census shows Thomas 2 Blacksmith having 2 men working for him maybe this is why brother Richard was with them.
They all seem to be around Ickham, Wickhambreaux area and St Mary's pops up too .
I will sit and digest this information.
Thankyou

Offline GrannyFlower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 October 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thomas 2 (NZ), we think, did have a brother Richard who stayed in England. It's the brother Robert who died here, we can find no trace of at home in Kent.
There was also, sometimes, an age limit on people coming here and so they weren't always truthful about their age!!
A birth date of 1803 ties in with a marriage date for Richard and Mary of 1.2.1800
Thomas and Emma's son Richard came here also on the Cresswell, he is not listed on the passenger list as one of their children as he was classed as an adult but there is a R Maxted male on board.