Author Topic: What is the one family item you wish you had? - just for a bit of fun  (Read 36522 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is the one family item you wish you had? - just for a bit of fun
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I think I'll opt for Morley Park Manor as owned by my GGGGGG-grandfather Thomas Coppard. Well, I can dream, can't I?

As for smaller things, I'd love to find the only photo of my great-grandfather Charles Adam Willis which hung on the family wall. The only copy of it in existance (as far as anyone knows) was a tiny, tiny little photo taken of the wall which showed it.

Or my granddads little blue BMW Isetta!

Glen

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
What would you do with the sugar plantation, Greenvalley?

have banana trees, live in the big house, get a pool and laze about  ;D ;D ;D

Unfortunately I don't even have the money to go there, but dreams are priceless and cost nothing  8) 8)

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Or my granddads little blue BMW Isetta!

oh yes, there was my grandfather's 1920's Harley Davidson

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Two things:

1) My Great Grandfather's WW2 medals. He loaned them to some girl decades ago for some sort of highland dancing competition and never got them back.

2) The Family bible of my greatx5 grandmother. Since discovering of it's existance in Aberdeen University's special Library, I've wanted it. If I can't have it, I would like it to be gifted to the local lighthouse museum which has a feature on Broadsea village, where she lived.

Front page:

But if I can't have those, I suppose I shall have to make do with the Honours of Scotand.

Edit: Sorry for the size of that picture. I don't know how to decrease the size.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I would wish for the three properties in Odiham Hampshire, that my 5X Great gandfather left in his will, although me being female I probably wouldn't be entitled.  :'(

Pipkim
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:58 GMT (UK) »
A Valentine card dated 1780 from Sam Twigg to Mary Wingfield, my 3xgt-grandparents.  Last known to be in the possession of my great-great aunt!

Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Everything in my grandparents loft.

Seriously, ever since I can remember things have disappeared into the black hole of their loft, never to see the light of day again.

I know there are books up there given to me by my great grandfather.
I have no idea how much stuff disappeared into there before I was born but I have no doubt that it is a veritable Aladdin's cave.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 18:23 GMT (UK) »
The grandfather clock and Willow patternd dinner service that were in my grans dinning room and I remember so clearly from when I was a child.  Sadly when I was about 19 and away at college my mum decided that gran had to move into a smaller house near to her so she could pop in every day.  The house was sold in a hurry and mum got the house clearance people in,  it is so sad it was full of wonderful things and they all went,  at least she held on to the few photos and the birthday book,  but she says she didn't have room for anything else.

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Photos of my Dad's parents, both of whom died shortly after he was born. All his siblings are dead, and if there were any photos, they are lost.... :'(

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London