Author Topic: DARGAVEL, Joseph, Sanquar 1841  (Read 2845 times)

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DARGAVEL, Joseph, Sanquar 1841
« on: Wednesday 13 February 08 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for the ancestors of my greatgreatgrandfather, Joseph Dargavel.  He was born in Sanquar and lived his life there, to the best of my knowledge. In the 1841 census he was 30 years of age, as was his wife, Catherine, who was born in Ireland.
He was a cotton weaver, working for a company with the initials HLW.  In 1841 he was living on the south side of the High St. in Sanquar, and his children were James 12, Helen 7, Samuel 5, Jane 2.  I would be most grateful for any information. Thank you.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DARGAVEL, Joseph, Sanquar 1841
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 08 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had a look at the 1841 census to see if I could find who Joseph Dargavel worked for.  HLW in fact stands for Hand Loom Weaver.  There was a co. called Sanquhar Carpet Co. at Crawick Mill.  You might find the following site interesting.

http://www.futuremuseum.co.uk/Default.aspx?Id=217&mode=object&item=4084

If you Google Crawick Mill I am sure you will find more information.

I have a note of the 1851 census of all the Dargavel surnames in the Sanquhar area.   Let me know if you would like a copy.   Were there other members of the family shoe makers as there are some entries in the old newspapers under the name Dargavel.  I see James and Samuel were  also involved in that work. Let me know if you would like further information on these entries.

Betty.

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 08 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
Thanks so much for getting in touch, and for the interesting information.  I looked at the website, fascinating! 
The only records of  Dargavels being shoemakers that I have found from the 1851 census, wherre  my greatgreatgrandfather James is listed as being a shoemaker, and  his brother Samuel, was a shoemaker's apprentice.  They were both sons of Joseph and Catherine.  I have now found Joseph's parents' names, they are James Dargavel and Nelly McLachlan.  I am going to try to track down James' parents next.  At this point I am tracing only the paternal lines, to see how far back I can get.
Any information you care to send me would be greatly appreciated!  Are you in Scotland?  I am in British Columbia, Canada, but would much prefer to be in Scotland.
Kathy
Kathy

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Greetings from a sunny but very frosty Dumfries

I will have a look at the newspaper clippings and see if anything could relate to yourself. 

I see you say Catherine came from Ireland.  Is that known from family.  It says on the 1851 census she was born in Dalry, Kirkcudbright.

Is your Joseph a Mason in the 1851 or is that someone else.  I also see there is no Jane in 1851.

I will get back to you

Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 08 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
Thanks so much for getting in touch, and for the interesting information.  I looked at the website, fascinating! 
The only records of  Dargavels being shoemakers that I have found from the 1851 census, wherre  my greatgreatgrandfather James is listed as being a shoemaker, and  his brother Samuel, was a shoemaker's apprentice.  They were both sons of Joseph and Catherine.  I have now found Joseph's parents' names, they are James Dargavel and Nelly McLachlan.  I am going to try to track down James' parents next.  At this point I am tracing only the paternal lines, to see how far back I can get.
Any information you care to send me would be greatly appreciated!  Are you in Scotland?  I am in British Columbia, Canada, but would much prefer to be in Scotland.
Kathy
Kathy

Hi Cathy

I have had a look at the old newspapers that mentioned the name Dargavel.  I think the first one is yours but not sure of the rest.  I have included them as they are in the same area.

All extracted from the Dumfries and Galloway Standard.

27th March 1875 page 4 column F - Death
On the 22nd inst. at Gatelawbridge, Morton, Catherine McLaughlan, widow of Mr. James Dargavel, Weaver, Barndennoch, Keir aged 81 years.  Friend at a distance please accept this intimation.

11th October 1876 5F
On the 10th Inst. of Gastric Fever at Keir Mill, Jessie Paterson wife of William Dargavel aged 23 years.  Deeply Regretted.

12th October 1878 4G
On the 8th Inst. at Millinwood Iron Works Cotts. Holytown Bridge of Scarlet Fever, James Dargavel, Waggon Builder aged 18 years, fourth son of Mr. James Dargavel, Shoemaker, Keir Mill.

26th October 1872 4F Births

On the 18th inst. at Keir Mill by the Rev. David Black, Virginhall, Penpont, Mr. Robert Coupland to Elizabeth Eldest Daughter of Mr. James Dargavel, Boot and Shoemaker, Keir Mill.

I see there is an entry in the following site for Dargavel

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~dfsgal/Holywood/mi-data/All-MIs.htm#950

Holywood is in the same direction as Keir Mill (I think).  I don't know if there is an MI book for Keir.

If the first one is yours you could get an extract of her death certificate from Scotland's People if you have not already got it.

Betty

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I live on a very small island, and had to go to the mainland for a couple of days for shopping, doctor's appointment, etc.
I think that first article must be my family, if that is the case then I know where to go to find the next ancestor.  There were several possibilities on Scotlands' People, but if that article about Catherine's death is my family, then I will trace the only Dargavel in Keir on Scotland's People.  I wasn't sure where to go, as there were no matches in Sanquar, but one in Keir.
In the 1841 census it listed Catherine's place of birth as Ireland, I could not make out the writing for her place of birth in the 1851 census, thank you for clarifying the place for me.
Has your family lived in Dumfries for a long time?  I am 3rd generation Canadian, but my roots go back so far in Scotland, it feels more like home than Canada.  I have visited twice now, and would love to live there.
I hope to hear from you again!
Kathy
Talk to you soon, and thanks again!
Kathy   

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Betty,
I was just rereading your posts, and yes, Joseph the mason is my ancestor.
Thanks again for all your help.
Kathy

Offline PFairfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 February 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to Rootschat and have just discovered this conversation about the Dargavels. I'm researching my mother's paternal line. We have an ancestor named William Dargavel who came to Brockville, Ontario, Canada around 1830 at about the same time as his older brother Robert (to Elgin, Ontario, just down the road). Their father was James Dargavel, born in 1786 in Sanquhar and married to Nelly (Catherine?) McLachlan. I'm trying to follow the trail back from there. Does anyone have any information about James Dargavel, his parents, their parents, etc.? I'd much appreciate any information, or just general information about this family, what they did for a living, and what might have motivated these young men to come to Ontario.
Thank you!

Offline PFairfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 February 20 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Further to that, I see there is a Dargavel Estate in the parish of Erskine, which extends back to the 17th century. This isn't far from Sanquhar. I'm wondering if it's likely the surname Dargavel was taken from the estate, that someone who worked on the estate, likely as a farmer, adopted the name as a surname. Does anyone have any speculation about this?