Author Topic: Complete: Death notice: Nancy Main nee Younie  (Read 16635 times)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complete: Death notice: Nancy Main nee Younie
« on: Thursday 14 February 08 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Need help with last member of a family.  She was the baby born about 1910-1914

Nancy Younie born 6/10/?  married name Main.  Lived in Nairn for her latter years and passed away about mid 1990's in her 80's. Possibly named after her aunt Annie Younie?

Her father was John Younie (worked 20 years at Milne Institute at Fochabers) b 13/9/1871 d 20/8/1937
Mother was Isabella Ross b 1878 d 13/9/1954.

Sister Isobella Shepherd nee Younie d 5/10/1991 in Nairn;

brotherCharles Stuart Younie died on 22/2/1992 in hospital at Inverness.

Much appreciated.

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death Notice: Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 08 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb,

Nancy is a diminutive for Ann/e.  e.g I have a niece whose middle name is Anne and half the time she is referred to as 'Nan'.  From 1908 to 1918 in the NE of Scotland there are 3 that fit the bill - images unavailable online.   Only give the year, not specific date.

1909 YOUNIE ANNIE WILSON F ELGIN /MORAY      135/00 0197 3
1912 YOUNIE DIANA ANNIE F KEITH /BANFF           159/00 0091
1911 YOUNIE MARGARET ANN F RAFFORD /MORAY  140/00 0005

Regards,  Steve :O)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 08 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Her name was Nancy (my mother was named after her in 1923 and her sister after Nancy's sister Jean)

I have found all these: Younie siblings born in Fochabers and later parents moved to Lossiemouth -

James B 2/10/1901 (d 2//10/1884 at Somerset)
John b 10/11/1902 d 28/6/1903
Isobel b 14/10/1904 d 5/10/1991 at Nairn Nursing home
William b 24/5/1907 d 18/6/1944 in France WW2 batch/l.
Charlie b 1/9/1908 d 22/2/1992 Widower
Jean b 30/11/1909 d 18/12/1952 (married Purvis)
Nancy b 6/10/1911 (found a letter)   m Main they had 1 daughter also Nancy Younie Main who went to NSW iin Australia.  She did move back to care for her mother.

Last letter I received from her was in 1996 around her 85th birthday and she was bad with arthritis being cold in October :'(.

Barb

Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Nancy's parents married in Bellie, Morayshire in 1900.  There was a Charles Stewart Younie born there in 1908.

I can't see any births for a Nancy in either Moray or Nairn.

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Nancy's parents married in Bellie, Morayshire in 1900.  There was a Charles Stewart Younie born there in 1908.

I can't see any births for a Nancy in either Moray or Nairn.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb,

The reason that I looked for Anne/es was that I couldn't find any Nancys on Scotlands People. - born in all of Scotland - in the timeframe I previously posted.  The fact that she was called Nancy all her days does not mean she was not baptised Anne? 

(I have afirst name which I've never used - or been called by any relative -am over 50 and have always used my middle name). 

Shall look to see if SP has a death.  Did she marry - if so, what was her married name?  Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The death record is for Nancy Main, age 82, in 2006. No mother's surname or maiden surname given and the image isn't available. So whoever registered her death can only have known her as Nancy. But I agree with Steve that it is possible that she was baptised as Anne/ Hannah or even Agnes. Do you know when she married or better still , have her marriage certificate?

Jen

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 February 08 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, That was plainly me being year blind! Ignore my last posting. Theere was an entry in 2006 but that's not exactly relevant to this query.

Jen

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help re Death notice: Nancy Main nee Younie
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi People,

Thank you for helping, can anyone else give me ideas where to look for someone who doesnt seem to have existed????

As I am not sure of Nancy's husband's first name or occupation - or when she moved from Lossiemouth to Nairn or if Mr Main was also from Lossiemouth I'm up against a brick wall.  Not able to do a Census check either!

I have found all her other siblings - interesting that she isnt among them.

The father worked for 20 years from 1901 at the Milne Institute at Fochabers then they moved to Lossiemouth when he retired.

Parents are in Lossiemouth cemetery. 

Frustrating!!! ???