Author Topic: Black and Tans records?  (Read 7403 times)

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black and Tans records?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. He didn't enlist in Canada.
Essex: Boosey/Boozey; Leveridge; McAllister: Morley: Webb
Suffolk: Morley; Leveridge:Crowe; Barnard: Reeve: Webb: Cobb
Norfolk: Hunt, Hammond, Groome,King's Lynn;
Cambridge: Groome
Islington, Holborn, Tottenham: Hunt; Nash
East London/West Ham/East Ham/Dagenham/Bow,Mile End: Smith; Morley: Boosey: McAllister: Webb
Gloucestershire: Smith; Fildes: Ashwin: DJones; Lloyd; Prior; Jenkins;Mitchell; Phillips
Somerset: Smith; Jenkins; Wyatt;Cole;Mitchell
Scotland: McAllister; Love;Lang;Ferguson

Offline simonsmrt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black and Tans records?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 16:13 GMT (UK) »
a fascinating thread and one of personal interest to me too.  Researching family history recently has been very frustrating and gaps/discrepancies cant seem to be reconciled.  My Grandad served with the Sherwood Foresters early in the War but having lied about his age and giving a false name no doubt he was apparently discharged shortly after being wounded at Mons.  My Dad then said he joined the RFC when old enough and finally volunteered for the Black and Tans after the war before being discharged again after an incident led to him being concussed.  But he says he has seen a photo of him in a kilt which I have always thought meant he might have been in the Highland Light Infantry who I believe went to Ireland for the Easter uprising in 1916 (before the Black and Tans existed).  Now having read these threads about the kilts I wonder whether my Dad was right and he was actually in the Black and Tans.  This also would tie nicely in with the famous photo of 3 Black and Tans at a Racecourse/sports event published all over the www and in the book by Bennet which I have been conviced ever since seeing it, was of my Grandfather