Author Topic: William JAMIESON and Jane SUTHERLAND  (Read 35540 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
William JAMIESON and Jane SUTHERLAND
« on: Sunday 17 February 08 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for any information on William Jamieson born in 1810 in Upperton, Findon, Kincardine.  He died in 30 December 1889 and is buried in Portlethen Parish Church Graveyard.  A very kind man sent me a picture of his grave stone which also acknowledges William's wife Jane Sutherland.  She was born in 1816 and died on 1 January 1883.

I have a  copy of a 1835 census that has the couple with 3 children:

Cathrine, Elizabeth & Jane 4, 3, and 6mths.  I know they must have had a son at some point call William as it is from this line that I'm descended.

There was also an Ann Sutherland living with them - could be Jane's sister. She was employed as a domestic servant.

Does anyone else have any information about them?  I'd love to know their parents and siblings.  Actually I'd love to know pretty much anything about them

;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: William JAMIESON and Jane SUTHERLAND
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
hi kiwi girl

welcome to rootschat  :)

william jamieson born 30th april 1842
baptized 8th may 1842 banchory devenick kincardineshire
father william jamieson mother jane sutherland(from IGI)

1835 census  ??? think that's the 1841 census

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
 :o

Wow, thanks for that - yes you're probably right about the census date.

Thank you so much for that information :)

Cheers,

8)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 08 09:47 GMT (UK) »
The Jamieson children, all born at Banchory-Devenick are:

Cathrine  1837
Elizabeth  8 Jan 1838
Jane  15 Jul 1840
William  30 Apr 1842
Margaret  25 Feb 1844
John  1 Aug 1846
Charles  6 Mar 1852
Ann  21 Apr 1854
Jessie  12 Jun 1859

I couldn't find their father's birth/baptism but if you go to the ScotlandsPeople website his death certificate should give the names of his parents.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 08 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!

I only had down to William.  It's so great being able to add the siblings, some of those names are still in the family.

I really do appreciate your help!

;D

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 08 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kiwi Girl

Just back off the IGI - and found another child (making 10)  - Alexander  b.15 Feb 1850  ch. 02 Mar 1850 in Banchory Devenick.  Search done from 1825 to 1865

If you follow the link that 'ev' gave you and enter as below - you'll get 15 entries - a mix of births and christenings.  However - nothing for Catherine....

Regards,    Steve   :O)

Follow evs link then:

1.  Enter father and mothers names in the 2 right hand boxes
2.  'Event' select 'birth/christening'
3.  'Year' - select - type '1845'
4.  'Year range' -  enter - '+or - 20 years'
5.  'Region' enter 'British Isles'
6.  Country - enter 'Scotland'
7.  County - enter - 'Kincardine

Leave all other boxes empty.

Press the 'search' button and up comes the 15 entries.  There are other tricks within the system but that's enough for now - any problems drop me a pm and I'll send you a screen dump of the page.  Too big to attach  :O(

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I was finding it very confusing with the ol' family search site in the general search...

;)

Alexander is now one of the family :D

Thanks so much

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William JAMIESON son of William
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 March 08 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, stumped again I'm afraid.  I thought I was getting good at IGI stuff but I can't find the date of death for William jnr born in Banchory Devenick,  Kincardineshire on 30 Apr 1842.  He may have been living in Morningside, Edinburgh when he died.

Any sleuths still out there?

:o)