Author Topic: William JAMIESON and Jane SUTHERLAND  (Read 35423 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William JAMIESON and Jane SUTHERLAND
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 12 April 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Fiddleston, Porthleven, Kincardine.
[/size]
[/size]This place does not exist.

[/size]The proper place name is .FINDON, PORTLETHEN, KINCARDINESHIRE.
[/size]
[/size]When you have verified that look at this and check your info against it.

[/size]There are so much red herrings and false information in this ancestry business.

[/size]http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/m/c/i/George-A-Mcintyre-Aberdeenshire/GENE2-0001.html

I attached a link to a PDF file with a Jamieson family tree[/font]

If admin do not allow such links contact me again and I shall give you my email[/font]

Regards[/font]

AJ[/font]

Thank you for telling me the correct place name was Findon.
I was able to view the link to the Jamieson tree that you sent me.
I don't know if you attempted to send me anymore links.
If Christian was an illegitimate daughter of William Jamieson, she may not be on that link anyway. Especially if no other people had found out about her.
On her death certificate, it states that her mother's maiden surname was "Scorgie". But she may have been lying and that Christina Scorgie may not even have been married to William Jamieson.
I have not been able to find a marriage between the pair.
All of the census returns give her birth as: "Fetteresso".
Her death certificate states that her father was:  "William Jamieson, Farmer deceased."
I of course understand that there are many red herrings and false information in this ancestry business.

But the information I am telling you here is direct from sources I have seen and found out.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 15 April 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Can you send me a copy of that death certificate please. I ask because I am keen to investigate further my belief that the surname Cargie may be a misinterpretation of the surname Scorgie.

There are many instances of errors being made or assumptions by Parish officials when recording deaths, births marriages. Many of the rural population were illiterate and many spoke in a strong dialect.

If indeed Scorgie is the correct surname and not Cargie that would clear some things up and enable me to find graves and more.

Scorgie is a common surname in Kincardineshire.
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 16 April 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Can you send me a copy of that death certificate please. I ask because I am keen to investigate further my belief that the surname Cargie may be a misinterpretation of the surname Scorgie.

There are many instances of errors being made or assumptions by Parish officials when recording deaths, births marriages. Many of the rural population were illiterate and many spoke in a strong dialect.

If indeed Scorgie is the correct surname and not Cargie that would clear some things up and enable me to find graves and more.

Scorgie is a common surname in Kincardineshire.

I have sent you a PM requesting your email address, so I cam send you some items if you don't mind please.

Thank you.

R Ebdon.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
The Kirk session at Fetteresso certainly gives Christian's mother as Christian Scorgie, and her father as William Jamieson. They were both unmarried at this date. Christian Scorgie was with child, and William Jamieson acknowledged himself as the father of her child. The date was the 4th of October 1807. It can be viewed for free here on the right hand side of this image page. -

"William Jamieson & Christian Scorgie dismissed". Virtual Volumes: Fetteresso Kirk Session, Minutes (1767 - 1818), CH2/ 153/ 4: Image number 213. Via scotlandspeople. -

Virtual VolumesFetteresso kirk session, Minutes (1767-1818), CH2/153/4 | ScotlandsPeople

At the baptisms of all John Lamond's children it gives his wife's name as Christian Jamieson.
The oldest three were all baptised at Fetteresso, between 1831-1835. -

(Old Parish Registers Births 258/  40 409 Fetteresso) Page 409 of 576 1835. Via scotlandspeople.

It gives Christian/ Christina's birth year as 1808, at the times of the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census returns in the home with her husband John.  The 1851 and 1871 returns give her place of birth as Fetteresso also. -

1851, LAMONT, CHRISTIAN (Census 258/ 10/ 7) Page 7 of 18. Via Scotlandspeople.

1861, LAMONT, CHRISTIAN (Census 258/ 2 3/2) Page 2 of 23. Via scotlandspeople.

1871, LAMONT, CHRISTIAN (Census 264/ 2/ 8) Page 8 of 11. Via scotlandspeople.

The 1881 Census gives her age as 74, and place of birth as Fetteresso. This was taken on the 3rd of April. She was with her husband at Fiddeston near the Mains of Findon, in the parish of Banchory Devenick, registration district of Portlethen. It is just west from the village of Findon. -

1881, LAMONT, CHRISTINA (Census 251/ 23/ 7) Page 7 of 14. Via Scotlandspeople.

She died at this address at 2 minutes past 2 on the morning of the 24th of April 1883. The statutory death register described her as the wife of John Lamond, a retired Crofter. It appears to give her age at death as 79 years (which most certainly must have been a mistake). It describes her parents as William Jamieson Farmer (Deceased) and Christina Jamieson MS (maiden surname) Scorgie. She died of Bronchitis. Her son William Lamond (born 1831 and baptised at Fetteresso) was the informant and present at death. -

1883 LAMOND, CHRISTINA (Statutory registers Deaths 251/2  11). Via Scotlandspeople.

Thank you.

:) ;)