Author Topic: Cantillons of Causeway, Kerry  (Read 10874 times)

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cantillons of Causeway, Kerry
« on: Sunday 17 February 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Heres another one of my Irish ties and though I have actually made contact with family members in Kerry and know a bit about the location of the family I have never been able to find solid documentary proof for this ancestor ie baptism or baptisms for other family members. ( I know the history of the Cantillons is well documented even to them being thrown out of their castle by the Crosbies....always fancied a drawbridge and moat !!)

Catherine Cantilen (or one of the various spellings) was transported on the "Midlothian" to VDL on 24 Feb.1853. Transported for 7 years. She was 17 years of age (so born circa 1833-35). Native of Co. Kerry.

Her convict record states her father was Patrick, brothers - Patrick and John, sisters - Honora, Bridget, Mary Ellen and Margaret at Native Place.

As I stated I've actually made contact and had some writings with descendants of Catherine's siblings but it is all anecdotal and family stories. The family is from around Castleshannon/Causeway.

The Roman Catholic parish of Causeway has records back to 1782 but I've never been able to get a response from the parish priest. There are microfilms of the registers at the NLI but they require written permission from the Bishop of Kerry to be viewed and its a bit hard to get a look at them from Australia.

Is anyone now or in the near future venturing to Causeway to seek their own relatives and may be able to assist me with a search as they seek their own? or is anyone going to be using the Causeway microfilms in the NLI?

Cheers,

Peter J Oakley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cantillons of Causeway, Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked LDS catalogue at www.familysearch.org to see if the church records are available through them on microfilm?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

Yes I've already done that. They are only available through the NLI and the written permission of the Bishop of Kerry. Have had no luck with writing to parish priest so hoping someone might physically be going there.

Peter

Offline antocar1913

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
I think that the castle is in Ballyheigue, a village 6 miles west of Causeway village.
The name Cantillon is very common in Ballyheigue/Causewway.
You could write to the parish priest in both parishes.

Offline antocar1913

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 00:25 BST (UK) »
Name:   CATHERINE CANTILON

Date of Birth:   29 September 1836 (Based on other date information)

Address:   DROUMKEEN

Father:   BARNABUS NR

Mother:   CATHERINE DIGGINS

The name DROUKEEN is incorrect, it should be DROMKEEN. It is a townland of Causeway.

Offline spratt1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 January 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there -
My Cantillon ancestors also come from Causeway - Dromkeen and Blackpool townlands but mine came to England ! Anyway I have visited Causeway and have seen the records for the family although they are not held at St John the Baptist but a church a few miles away (cant remember the name but it will come back to me) however you don't meed to travel so far - check this new web site out and you will find your Mary Cantillon - I have pictures of the old 'Cantillon' castle in BALLYHEIGUE if you would like a copy please let me know and I will email. Probably your Cantillon and my Cantillons were related as its a very small place.

Offline spratt1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 January 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 January 11 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Forgot about this thread until spratt1958 reminded me about it....!!

Thanks for the link and a possible family that might be my Catherine's from the indexes therein.

So I have PATRICK CANTLON married to CATHERINE DOOLIN - 18 NOV 1816, CAUSEWAY.
Children -

JOHN CANTILLON b 26 May 1817 Farran
MARY CANTELLON b 4 October 1822 Faran
BRIDGET CANTLON b 19 February 1826 Farran
ELLEN CANTLON b 12 March 1833 Faran
MARGARET CANTLON b 1 February 1836 Farran
RICHARD CANTLON b 3 July 1837 Farran

So I've got a father named Patrick and 5 siblings with the right names that match Catherine's info from her convict record.

Would this be the right family? No sign of Catherine's birth or baptism but there are enough gaps for her, Patrick and  Honora to slip in tidily?

The mother is also Catherine so there are good odds they named a daughter after her?

Faran/Farran is pretty central between Castleshannon and Causeway, Dromkeen and Blackpool.

What do others think??

Cheers,

Peter

Offline spratt1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 February 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I think is a good chance that is the right family - I have tried to piece together all the Cantillons in the local area to get the family relationships - but is very hard to get it right. I have attached my spreadsheet in pdf format and marked my family with ****. I would appreciate your comments - thanks.
Jackie