Author Topic: High Sherriff's  (Read 29007 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: High Sherriff's
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking more closely at British History Online ...

'William Gower, who bought the second moiety of Temple Laughern in 1544, was also the owner of Boughton or Boulton (q.v. infra), and his property in Laughern afterwards became known as the manor of Boulton Colemarsh. (fn. 163) It followed the descent of Queenhill in Ripple (fn. 164) (q.v.), and was still held by the Gower family in 1766. (fn. 165) They sold it early in the 19th century to the Harrisons, who held it till about 1840, when it was sold to the Munns. On the death of the last brother about 1900 it was bought by James Best, whose widow now lives there. (fn. 166)'

'n 1852 Mary Harrison, by her will proved 19 May, left £50 for the benefit of the Sunday school. The legacy is on deposit in the Post Office Savings Bank; the income of £1 5s. yearly is applied to the Sunday schools.'

From: 'Parishes: St John in Bedwardine', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 (1913), pp. 501-510. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43160. Date accessed: 20 February 2008.

Victoria County History
Publication ~ A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3
Year published ~ 1913
Pages ~ 501-510
Citation
'Parishes: St John in Bedwardine', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 (1913), pp. 501-510. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43160. Date accessed: 20 February 2008.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
2 parishes in Worcester itself, St John Bedwardine and St Michael Bedwardine.
Info here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WOR/Where/index.html#B
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Checked out the A2A reference I mentioned in my previous message, nothing interesting to be gleaned from it. Just Richard Harrison in effect swearing that he had a bona fide “Estate in Law or Equity to and for my own use and benefit consisting of Messuages Lands Tenements and Hereditaments as do qualify me to act as a Justice of the Peace for the County of Worcester in accordance with the true Intent and meaning of an Act of Parliament made in the 18th year of the reign of His Majesty King George the Second”………………….”which said Lands Tenements and Hereditaments are situate lying and being in the Parish of St John in Bedwardine in the County of Worcester.”

I had better luck with the will of Richard Harrison which was proved on 9 September 1795 his wife Mary being the sole executrix. Estate "did not amount to £2000". No time to read the full 7 pages, but a quick skim to get family members names.

1) Daughter Elizabeth wife of Richard Yeomans of the Tything, Worcester
2) Son Robert and wife Elizabeth and their six children- Emma Clara, Sarah, Thomas, William, John Christopher and Henry.
3) Son John William
Another grandson Richard Hopkins Harrison

Thomas Tolley and son-in-law Richard Yeomans to farm Temple Lawn (sic)currently in the occupation of Stephen Barber. There wasn’t enough time to read why and for how long they were to farm the estate. Richard also owned Writers (?) Mill and Ambrose Mill in the same parish - St John in Bedwardine. This was a very large parish at that time. I think others have already given you useful references for that.

It appears that the Harrison family may have been doubly related to the Yeomans. Grazebrook mentions:-
Yeomans of Worcester; as borne by William Yeomans who married Margaret, daughter and co-heiress of Rowland Berkeley, of Cotheridge. The heiress married Harrison of Temple Laughern – Sable, a chevron, between three cronels of spears argent.

Can you just clarify how you know that  Jane Harrison who was married outside Worcestershire (in Birmingham) was connected to the Harrisons of Temple Laughern. Did Jane and William Horton marry by licence?

I expect you know that a lot of people used Crests and Coats of Arms in the 19th century that were not actually granted to their family or were fictitious. We have a an old family bookplate and a wax impression taken from a ring with a supposed family Arms and Crest. The advice given 50 years ago by the College of Arms was that the Arms and Crest were of identical design to those born by a  17th century family in London  with a different surname, and those to were "Arms that were not allowed"!!!

Nemo

Offline Qldsun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 February 08 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Tricia,  I probably read the ref to St Johns Bedwardine in the article you mention but did not relate it until Nemo came in with his wealth of info.  I now know I must pay more attention to detail.  Thanks for your great efforts.  I also now have a lot of reading to do.

Nemo,  I am still working back from William Horton born 1843 whose father William born 1812 was the son of William Horton born 17?? and Jane Harrison.
William and Jane were wed in 4/1/1812 at St Martins, Birmingham, as yet I do not have any marriage cert for that event.  Their son William 1812 later moved to Manchester and his son William 1843 migrated to Australia in 1866.
I have a copy of the will of William 1812 (died 1893) showing two coats of arms for Horton and Harrison.  A friend of the family also doing some research passed some info to me which had a note saying "Jane Harrison was a decendant of Harrison of Temple Laughem and Richard Harrison was a High Sheriff".  To be honest it is only on the strength of this note I am trying to folow up this lead and this is as far as I have got.  I think perhaps I should get some birth and marriage certs if they are available to set a few points straight.
Thank you for all the info you have provided, it gives me a lot to think about before my trip to the UK in June/July this year.
Cheers,
Brian
Ches.  LEVER, NIXON.
Lancs. LEVER, GARLAND, HORTON, ROYSTON. HUBBARD
Som.  GARLAND
Australia, Qld.  HORTON

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 February 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
....William and Jane were wed in 4/1/1812 at St Martins, Birmingham, as yet I do not have any marriage cert for that event.  ...
I believe that you would need to check the parish registers, for confirmation of this, because it's prior to 1837. I think that they are in the archives at Birmingham Central Library.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 February 08 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That's a good idea. Perhaps someone will do a look-up? The parish register will show witnesses which might be useful. If the couple weren't married by banns then they would have had a marriage licence.

Here is the website where you can ask the Lichfield Record Office in Staffordshire to do a search for the marriage licence allegation and bond relating to marriage at St Martins Birmingham. Lichfield holds the Diocesan records. I don’t know if they have a Marriage Index. I only have experience with Worcestershire licences, which have been indexed and can sometimes give useful clues as to where people were from and relationships etc - other times - no help at all!

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8A6731E6-618B-4478-B2D5-A99076F791FE/32990/LROResearchServiceFormnewMBsNov05.doc

Regards
Nemo

Offline Qldsun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 February 08 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everybody with all the help you have given me on my search for Jane Harrison and possibly her dad Richard.  I will chase after the Parish registers and anything else I can find.  I will also keep an eye on this board.

Thanks again,

Brian in Queensland. Aus.
Ches.  LEVER, NIXON.
Lancs. LEVER, GARLAND, HORTON, ROYSTON. HUBBARD
Som.  GARLAND
Australia, Qld.  HORTON

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 February 08 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

At last Ive found my photocopy of the High Sherriffs of Worcestershire from 1837 to 1928 & am sorry to report that the name Harrison is not one of them - if you would like to give me your e mail address I can send you the list that I have

My address is (*)

All the very best

Phil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin