Author Topic: High Sherriff's  (Read 29009 times)

Offline Qldsun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: High Sherriff's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tricia 2, the White Dragon site was very interesting re, the Templars and I now know where Temple Laugherne is and where Jane HARRISON was from.
I have a copy of the will of William HORTON who married Jane HARRISON and it shows a coat of arms for Horton and a coat of arms for Harrison.  Jane Harrison was a relative (?) of Richard HARRISON, High Sherriff.

Did the coat of arms originally belong to Richard and where was he High Sherriff of.  These are questions I would like to find answers to.  Any info or advise would be welcome.

Phil, if you do manage to find that list of Sherriffs I would appreciate a look at it.

Thanks all,
Brian
Ches.  LEVER, NIXON.
Lancs. LEVER, GARLAND, HORTON, ROYSTON. HUBBARD
Som.  GARLAND
Australia, Qld.  HORTON

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
A couple of possibles:
'John ‘Longitude’ Harrison was buried in the churchyard of St John at Hampstead. All his money (worth over £2 million in today’s values) passed to his son, William. And William never made another watch. He became a gentleman of leisure and High Sheriff of Monmouthshire, and did good works.'
http://www.flamsteed.info/fasanniv06_files/page0003.htm

'Previous High Sheriffs of Leicestershire'
'1873 Isaac Harrison, of Newfoundpool'

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/your_council/about_leicestershire/leicestershire_lieutenancy_index/leicestershire_lieutenancy_high_sheriff.htm

And some more general info to add to the sites given above:
http://www.privy-council.org.uk/output/page29.asp
http://www.somerset.gov.uk/somerset/council/officeofhighsheriff/

Perhaps you could contact one of them for info.

There are quite a few sites giving details about High Sheriffs ~ note the spelling, though, to find them more easily.  :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I had the house upside down looking for that photo copy this morning but do you think that I could find it - I put it in such a safe place that I cant lay a finger on it - I shall have to get another copy the next time I'm in Worcestershire (April this year)

All the very best

Phil
Somerset

ps I have to locate the book again before I can get another copy & cant remember the title
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here's some more information about Richard Harrison:-

Coat of Arms and Crest
Coat of Arms - Azure, three demi-lions rampant or.
Crest  ; A demi–lion rampant argent, holding a laurel wreath proper.
He was High Sheriff in 1787.
from Grazebrooks “The Heraldry of Worcestershire”

Volume 3 of the Victoria County History of Worcester gives information about Temple Laughern.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43160&strquery=Temple%20Laughern

The Harrisons apparently lived at Temple Laughern from the early 1800’s until 1840

This is probably a reference to him on the Access to Archives website
Worcestershire Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. 1
Quarter Sessions Rolls - ref. 1/1
FILE - Sessions 1779 Easter - ref.  1/1/477  - date: 1779
item: Easter 1779: Statement of Assets to qualify as JPs by:- John Durant, Hagley Rectory. Joseph Cartwright, Dudley Vicarage. Thomas Ward, land in Hallow & St. Clements. Samuel Sandys, land in Powick. Richard Harrison, land in St. Johns in Bed. John Dandridge, land in Great Malvern & St. Michael in Bedwardine. Thomas Holbeche, land in Dodderhill. Richard Hudson, land in Wick near Pershore. Henry Cecil, land in Hanbury. - ref.  1/1/477/9-17 [n.d.]

HTH
Nemo

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, that's more like it.
It looks as if the Harrisons I found are totally unconnected! Sorry!
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Qldsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nemo,  My word, your last posting was perfect and the description of the coat of arms matches the photocopy (without colour) that I have,  Thank you very much.  The rest of the info is great and confirms that we have the right bloke this time.  Tell me, after Richard Harrisons name it says "Land in St Johns in Bed".  The word 'Bed', is that Bedfordshire or Bedwardine which is another listed name there ??.  Cannot find Bedwardine on the map.
I must now try to establish the relationship between Richard and Jane Richardson now that we know they lived in Temple Laughern.
and
Tricia 2, Many thanks for your efforts and don't be sorry, it's all in the game.

regards,
     Brian

Ches.  LEVER, NIXON.
Som.  GARLAND
Australia, Qld.  HORTON

Offline Qldsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Ooops !  I meant HARRISON not Richardson
Sorry.

Brian
Ches.  LEVER, NIXON.
Som.  GARLAND
Australia, Qld.  HORTON

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

St John bedwardine is a parish of Worcester

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Did you notice that St John Bedwardine was mentioned in the Templar article I mentioned earlier?

'In Lower Broadheath which is just outside Worcester, there is a place called Temple Laugherne. Laugherne is the name of a brook which runs though the area and the prefix Temple is the obvious clue that it was once a Templar preceptory. In this case the Master and Brethren of the Temple are known to have purchased the Manor for £100 in 1249ce from William, son of Miles. It passed to the Hospitallers in 1311 as part of Temple Balsall in Warwickshire, the preceptory to which it had become attached. (10) The nearby site in St John in Bedwardine actually relates to a house mentioned as belonging to the 'passheon's'. (11) As there are no extant records of the order of passionists in Worcester, and the other possible translations of the word relate to 'passage' or 'ferry', John Noake speculates in his The Monastery and Cathedral of Worcester (among other possibilities) that it might have been a reference to a sub-house of the Templars at nearby Temple Laugherne (12) (pilgrims often travelled in Templar ships). It remains to be established whether or not this is the case. '
Notes:
10. Worcestershire Victoria County History (hereafter WVCH), vol III, p505 and Hereford and Worcester Site and Monuments Record (hereafter SMR) no 1322
11. Noake, John - The Monastery and Cathedral of Worcester , 1866, Longman & Co, London p187
12. Noake - ibid p187 n
http://www.whitedragon.org.uk/articles/temple2.htm

Some items that might be useful:

A vision of Worcester St John Bedwardine County CP
http://vision.edina.ac.uk/unit_page.jsp?u_id=10349473

British History Online ~ 'Parishes: St John in Bedwardine', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43160

Welcome to The Parish of St John in Bedwardine
http://www.stjohninbedwardine.co.uk/