Author Topic: Tyrone  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyrone
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that somebody can help me find details of my 2nd great-grandparents.  John Verner b abt 1805 in Castlederg, Tyrone, Ireland and Jane Scott b abt 1801 from Tyrone, Ireland. They arrived in Australia in 1857 aboard the ship the Monsoon.  They had their son Thomas b abt 1849 with them.
I have had a lot of help in the past using RootsChat and am hoping that somebody can help me again.
Thanks
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:17 GMT (UK) »
To search Irish records before the start of civil registration (if the church records still exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aileen,

In many instances siblings of emigrants remained in Ireland. If they were still in Ireland between 1848-64 then you may be able to establish where the emigrants lived. There are still a reasonable number of families who are in Ireland today who are descended from those siblings who remained in Ireland. I had lunch with an old friend (slightly younger than I am) on Sunday who like myself was born in Ireland. He's still finding living relatives that he didn't know about when he was many years younger. It amazes me that some twentieth century mums and dads kept quiet about relatives and have left  their children to meet strangers (who are related in some way) at family funerals. 

Don't give up the search. I've read about members of the UHF giving talks in England telling people that if they don't know a family's denomination and the parish where they lived they've no chance of filling in the gaps. That's not one hundred per cent true ... the best thing you can do is keep asking questions as many of the answers are out there somewhere. 

If people hit brick walls one of the best things they can do is visit Ireland and not only visit the archives but also get out and about and talk to people. 

Your family arrived in Australia in 1857 ... six years after the Valuation took place in Co. Tyrone. Have a look at the extracts on John Hayes failteromhat.com website. There are two John Verners but there may be other names that you recognize.

John Verner,  Carnteel
John Verner, Annaghmore, Aghaloo 

As well as having a look at the Valuation click here to have a look at the Castlederg New Cemetery Burial Records ... Information kindly provided by Mervyn Catterson. You'll see that there are several people named Scott and Verner on the list.

Christopher

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Thank you - I will have a look tonight. You are right about Mums and Dads not talking about relatives.  I have to admit though that I am probably more interested in the family tree now that I was a few years ago.  I just wish I had not left it so late to ask questions.
Thanks a lot
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline Angie54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
William Verner (parents John Verner and Jane Scott of Castlederg, Count Tyrone) was married to my great great aunt Catherine Fox (born in Castlederg, County Tyrone born circa 1836). I am a descendent of Isabella Fox who married Michael O'Halloran in Adelaide, Australia in 1859.
I have contact with relative of the third sister Rebecca Fox .
I am seeking any information regarding my great great gramdfather Michael and would appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Best to post any pertinent details about Michael on the O'Halloran topic to avoid confusion-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=798561.msg6558054#msg6558054
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!