Author Topic: Tiggi's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 68838 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tiggi's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #279 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

You wrote to me several years ago regarding the Bucklands, do you remember, i already put the place where you could find the photos, a year before you was asking for information the first time, you must not have seen my early posts then, now you ask for Platos photo, well if you sign up to the Newspaper archives you will through what i now put on find a few photos regarding Plato, you can view them free by just signing up, you get three goes free, or like i have done sign for the whole year its really reasonable and a great web site i do recomend you sign up for a year, also sign up for Ancestry d.n.a, by doing this you get to see who through d.n.a is related to you, i have several Buckland matches from 4th to 6th cousin mark, these Buckland do not have their pages open, that meens you have to write to them first then they show you lots of photos and records, i have not wrote to anybody but again lots who i am related to let their relatives see their photos without writing to them there is the open padlock sign, so in this way you also will along with the Newspaper archives get a great chance in finding family photos from long relatives, i will put up next the place where you may find the photos you are looking for in the Newspaper Archives its a great web site like Ancestry, sign up soon, when looking backwards its the way forwards.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
This photo is of Plato Buckland's Varda

THE ILLUSTRADED LONDON NEWS

Registered as a Newspaper for Transition in the United Kingdom and to Canada and Newfoundland by Magazine Post

Saturday October 9 1926

BURNING THE CARAVAN AND WORLDLY  GOODS OF PLATO BUCKLAND,
                                    A  CENTENARIAN GIPSY WHO DIED AT MARLOW RECENTLY.

In accordance with old Romany custom, the caravan of Plato Buckland, a gipsy who died the other day at the reputed age of 102, was burned at Marlow, with his other effects.

Photographs by C.N and 1.B.

if you go on this link from RootsChat its by me about Dan Boswell, well i have found dozens of old photos over the years just look at these on pages 44 45 46, there may be more people who look on here who also look for such things, i also have found more that i must put with all these on a page of their own so relatives may find the lost photos of their old relatives, go on the link then join the Newspaper Archives then type in the said Newspaper or magazine i put up with the date i write about then just type in, that meens write, as in keyboard, some of the words i write about the article and the computer will bring up the page with the photo, or just write to the moderator and say i sent you for the photo page, they dont know me but on reading my post they will help you, Kirsty why have you made another sign in name from your old one
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730582.msg6047370#msg6047370

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:31 GMT (UK) »
This photo is another of the burning of Plato Bucklands Varda, this picture like many I have come across as just been in a magazine since 1926, some of these photos could be in old journals or later papers but there lost to the People of today, I would tell everyone to think about researching the old editions of magazines and papers  that are evan today being updated, most of you and your Family's will not have the access to old journals and papers that some People hold onto, just do what I do and look yourself, then share everything, help everyone, never let evan the smallest none descript piece of information slip away, save everything

this is another photo for the Bucklands and all their People the ones who have never seen this photo, its another great one

THE SPERE

October 9 1926 The Empires Illustrated Weekly Page 51

THE CARAVAN OF A DEAD GIPSY

The last picture produced above shows the burning of a caravan belonging to Gipsy Plato Buckland, who died recently at the age of 102, the caravan was set alight and accordingly burnt to old custom

I was just looking for the record of Plato Buckland, and I came across this one from 1840, I found lots back to the 1700s, it is one of the greatest I have ever read,

Reading Mercury Saturday 22 February 1840

MARLOW, SATURDAY, February 22. The following distinguished persons are on a visit to Sir W. R. Clayton, Bart., M.P., at ford The Baron Latouche, Sir J. Kirkland, Bart., and Lady, the Hon. Major Henniker, Colonel Fremantle, Tonga, Sir George Baker, Bart,, Miss Cole, Capt. and Mrs. Culpeper, &c, .—Plato Buckland, a well-known gipsy, appeared to prefer a case of assault against Jonathan Hickman, of Little Mallow. It appeared the parties had been playing at " Hussle penny" in a public-house, when a dispute arose, and the defendant tore the plaintiffs hat to pieces and put it in the fire. The plaintiff stated his case with gestures fitting and tongue most voluble The worthy Magistrates, however, very properly dismissed the case as a public-house quarrel., much to the satisfaction of the defendant and his solicitor. Mr. May. Plato was anything but  philosophic under his defeat.—

this below is just an extract of a much larger report with more great information, they must be either closely related to or one of the Old Original Family's

Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle Saturday 15 November 1890
REMARKABLE FUNERAL SWINDON.

One of the most remarkable funerals ever witnessed probably in Swindon took place at the Parish Church, Old Swindon, on Wednesday afternoon last, the deceased an old gipsy named Timothy Buckland, 70 years of age. In consequence of the extraordinary reports which had been circulated as to the preparations which had been made for the funeral obsequies, and also that deceased held a titular position among the gipsies, well as that he had considerable wealth, led to the assemblage of several thousands of spectators in front of the church gates at the hour appointed, viz.. Three o'clock, and this crowd blocked up the roads leading thereto for some considerable distance, during the whole period of the formal service, which occupied but very little short of an hour. It appears that decease! was born at Hawkesbur Upton, in Somersetshire, in the year 1820, and from the time of his birth till that of his death has been living a predatory life, his practice being travel with vans, in which he and his family resided, he and his sons being generally engaged in horse and donkey dealing, and the female members of the family hawking goods in baskets throughout the country. The old man, having for some little time past been suffering from cancer in the mouth took up his abode in a field near the Wharf, in the Drove-road, Swindon, recently, and his other vans, the number of nine, in due course followed, the forming of a large gipsy encampment of upwards of 50 persons, consisting of deceased and his wife, four brother, their sons and daughters, and their children, living in their respective vans and tents, some of which bore a remarkable resemblance to the wigwams of the Indians, as seen in Canada and North America. The illness from which the old man was suffering threatening to have a fatal termination, the family had remained at Swindon for close upon to a month, awaiting the end

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been researching my family history below, and noticed you have discussed them on here.
I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of Plato Buckland (Buckinghamshire, oldest gypsy who died 1926) please? thank you.

http://americanromanichals.webeden.co.uk/communities/9/004/006/637/229/images/4521245446_425x473.jpg

This seems to be the man but under a variant surname - the source page is here:

http://americanromanichals.webeden.co.uk/buckland-family/4528895425
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Monday 26 October 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Kirsty

A few more photos, try and go on the link above i put on from the Dan Boswell thread on pages 44. 45. 46. there is many photos on there that i found over the years there may be more for you to look into, it would be a shame if relatives never found all the old photos that i came across while researching the old newspaper articles over the years, i have also found more and will also put them on RootsChat on a page for photos of the long gone Gipsy's that people like you try and find, everyone always wants to find photos, if you sign up to Ancestry d.n.a you will be able to see many photos of relatives and their wider family's, i have wrote about family's that are related to me on the Joseph Wilsher thread by Sky, all the ones i have wrote about are related through shared d.n.a from 1st cousin to 8th cousin in the template that Ancestry use, Ancestry have millions of people in their database yet i have only several hundred matches overall, when you take away my Fathers relations which is easy to do i am left with many Gipsy relations like the Bucklands, how you will know they are the Gipsy Bucklands is by looking at their family tree if they have the open padlock on their profile, these are the ones i have used on the Wilsher thread, but with the Bucklands that i am related to well they have the padlock sign on that tells you that you can view their photos and records if you first write to them, so now i will show you the way to bypass this stage to show you how to learn truths, so just click on where it says shared d.n.a, this link shows you who your match is related to that also share d.n.a with you, so me and the Bucklands share d.n.a with family's like the Wharton's Baily's Jeffery's Lovell's Stanley's Boswells and many more, so by doing this i know the Bucklands are Gipsy's in origin, this way shows how i match to a person named Lovell in direct d.n.a from a common ancestor and also how my Buckland match is also related to that same Lovell match through shared d.n.a, in the breakdown of your d.n.a you will have the common ansester d.n.a and the ethnicity d.n.a. Ancestry separate the two and show you who your old family ties are from long ago, then they show you your shared ethnicity, this part in my mind is still a work in progress for i now match to two Romany Gipsy people who have foreign names from Europe one female one male who have no d.n.a from the lands of my birth yet my d.n.a is in them from the older times, i hope this as been of help to you, also lots of people leave their padlock open for relatives to look at photos, the Boswells mostly do and most really, i suppose some like you to join their family group in a sort of group chat, either way if you join Ancestry the world opens up arisens that may amaze a person, the one thing i have found with the Gipsy d.n.a is that there is many links between family's, evan my distant cousins still when i click on their name several other family names come up that share old d.n.a with me, on my fathers side when you get to the older cousin matcher's they are offten alone and do not have shared matcher's but the Gipsy's seem right up to the olden times to have strong inter family matcher's, they must of stayed within themselves long ago, this is the truth through my own d.n.a. its true an old match say a Boswell will still match to my newer matcher's like third cousin evan though my old match may be an 8th cousin, this does not happen to the same exstent through my fathers side of my roots, i want you to know this as true, they must of stayed within family groups long ago on a scale that to me is now proved in my own d.n.a. its true to say though that you can also see how a second cousin may not share all the same d.n.a matcher's as yourself, i have close Gipsy relations that do not share all of my matcher's in other family's, i am sure this works both ways to, and also i see how the same Bucklands ethnicity may change between the same family groups, one will have the spoon of d.n.a from Europe through to Asia and the other just British, like i say ethnicity is still a work in progress and Ancestry do show and tell you these things may and do happen, as the data base expands and their knowledge grows more truth will come to be known.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Monday 26 October 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Kirsty these are the other photos that you may like

Wednesday 5 November 1913 The Sketch Magazine, there is a good photo of this Lady, very nice for the Relatives who may not have seen this

A ROMANY ROMANCE THE GIPSY BELLE OF THE HOME COUNTIES,
                             FEZENTA BUCKLAND WHO WAS RECENTLY MARRIED.

Mrs. Buckland, formerly known as Decent Fenner, has the reputation of being the most beautiful gipsy in the Home Counties. She was married the other day to William Buckland, also a gipsy, at Datchet. Photograph by Illustrations Bureau.]

The SPHERE Saturday 14 August 1948

THIS GIPSY CARAVAN HAS BEEN PRESENTED TO THE LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL BY MR. AND MRS. COURTENAY MASON, OF HAMPSTEAD, FOR PERMANENT DISPLAY AT KEN WOOD The caravan, originally owned by the Buckland’s of Buckinghamshire.

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Monday 26 October 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Kirsty

Ancestry have millions of people in their database yet i have only several hundred matches overall, when you take away my Fathers relations which is easy to do i am left with many Gipsy relations like the Bucklands, how you will know they are the Gipsy Bucklands is by looking at their family tree.

Have a tree on Ancestry - match Romany Boswells highest (but only on Ancestry DNA search &  Gedmatch) with Hearn-Buckland next, then Loveridge and Romany Smith [posted question on Ancona name earlier - Smiths also used this name]. My most recent common ancestor is somewhere between 3rd & 5th great grandparent but I can't work out who this is. I suspect Lee family because they are 3rd, 4th & 5th great grandparents, but I can't prove it, but both Smith and Ancona surnames appear in this branch of my tree. Cannot find the connection to Boswell on my tree - it's there somewhere.

Any help very welcome please - grew up in Margaret Finch's Norwood, so this is a sentimental quest.

Kind thanks :)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 03:24 GMT (UK) »

kr236rk
RootsChat Member

« Reply #277 on: Sunday 15 September 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Noticed Peonie's reply #239 of Tuesday 26 February 08:

1851 Census HO107, 2047, Folio 757, Page 46

Tent 1  Thomas (40) and Alicia Smith (40) and children

Tent 2  Edward (25) and Mary Ann Ancona (22) and child

Tent 3  Serhal? (30) and Mary Ancona (33) and children

Tent 4  Edward (59) and Lucy Buckland (58) and children

Tent 5  Emanuel ? (33) and Susan Buckland (33) and children

at Redditch, Worstershire.

Who were the Ancona family please?

Many thanks :)

there seems to be more indepth information on these links about names and locations and such, i will not be writing back so no need to answer

http://romanygenes.com/18411851-census-2/4532697246

http://romanygenes2.webeden.co.uk/census1851/4526606188

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Serhal Ancona is Jubal Ancona.

Jubal Ancona is Jubal Smith, son of Gripy Smith, baptised at Wroughton, Wiltshire 13th July 1814.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716110.msg5598232#msg5598232