Author Topic: Cheshire Places  (Read 2074 times)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cheshire Places
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 15:25 GMT (UK) »
In 1891, my family were enumerated at Bollen Fee. Bollen would be the River Bollen I take it but what does the Fee bit mean ? Is it a river word or a local word maybe ?

Fizzybubble ???
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Places
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi fizzybubble,

I presume you mean the River Bollin - from Macclesfield to Lymm !! ;) ;)

Never heard of Fee tho??
Might have something to do with cattle?

Used to go swimming in the Bollin in the 50's - 30 years later it was said it had been made clean enough to swim in!!! - no wonder I've turn out like I have!!  ;D ;D ;D

I will watch this space with interest

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 05 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi fizzybubble,

It may be connected to the use of the land in previous centuries.........a "Fee" in land terms was land or freehold property which could be inherited.

Odessa

Never heard of Fee tho??

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 05 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
         As Odessa stated in general terms FEE when used in connection with property and land is a parcel that is given for life. IE as part of a fee or a gift granted
   With regards to the naming of Pownall Fee and Bollin Fee (both in the parish of Wilmslow) it appears they were split away from the Lordship of Fulshaw and given, and the history below is taken from Ormerods history of Cheshire first published in 1812.

ANTIENTLY   " LE   BOLYN."
THERE is an obscurity with respect to the origin of this parish, and the arrangement of its present component members, which occurs in no other instance in the palatinate. WlLMSLOW, in strictness, consists exclusively of the parish church and the adjacent churchyard, the town which bears the name lying chiefly in the hamlets of Hough and Dean Row, with the exception of buildings of modern date, which extend into Morley; but the parish to which the church relates contains four townships, BOLLIN FEE, the manor of which comprehends the hamlets of Bollin cum Nordiffe", Dean Row, and Styall; POWNALL FEE, which manor comprehends the hamlets of Hough and Morley ; CHOR-LEY, also comprehended in the manor of Pownall Fee ; and FULSHAW>
The entire parish was originally held by the Fittons, under the earl of Chester; but the grant by which it passed to them has escaped the Cheshire collectors, unless we suppose it to have passed under the general designation of " Falingbrome "charter(which was afterwards a
part of the lordship of Bolyn), in the grant of that place from Hugh Kevelioc to sir Richard Fytun. There can at all events be no doubt that this parish and the parish of Chedle (which was held by a similar tenure to this, and like this is unnoticed in Domesday), were included at the Norman conquest, in the appendages to the earl's demesne of Maclesfeld and Edulvintune.
This lordship subsequently occurs in the charter, under the general name of FULSHAW, taken from one of the principal members of the fee ; but soon afterwards (as appears by an abstract of a charter in Fulshaw), was called the lordship of Bolyn, from the contiguous river of that name.
At this period the whole parish formed one manor and vill. Fulshaw being granted to the knights of St. John of Jerusalem, was withdrawn from this at an early period ; and the residue of the lordship of Bolyn, parted between the two coheiresses of Richard Venables, forms the existing manors of Bollin fee and Pownal fee.

Hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 05 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Bollin Fee was a township in the parish of Wilmslow, Cheshire.

If you type in your search Bollin Fee it should bring this up.

Catherine  :)