Author Topic: McIntosh / MacIntosh, Kingussie - census info please  (Read 15330 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh / MacIntosh, Kingussie - census info please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 February 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I usually only see these places from the A9 these days.

Here's another, just for the fun of it:
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 February 08 18:54 GMT (UK) »
So Sandy - I think we have found Margaret Meldrum's Mum.  :)

The following comes from my colleague on the Chisholm Genealogy Group:

"Looking on Ancestry last night - I tried to track down any Chisholms in the Parish of Alvie or next door Duthil and Rothiemurchus - but found a Catherine Chisholm, age 35 (1841 census), servant in the household of a half pay army officer Alexr McPherson - in Ruthven, Parish of Kingussie & Inch - so just below Alvie. Not many Chisholms in this part of Inverness-shire - Clan Chattan country I guess.

Anyway, Catherine is present in the 1851 Kingussie Parish census, now HOH, an agricultural labourer, still in Ruthven, born ~1801 in the same Parish.

Then, interestingly, she is in the 1861 census, Kingussie Parish, now mother in law to HOH James McIntosh, age 35, wife Margaret McIntosh age 31, and her grandchildren are Isabella age 13, Catherine, age 10, Jessie age 8, Donald age 5 and James age 2. They are located in Pitmain."

So I had a look for her in Kingussie and found that she died there in October 1861 a daughter of Andrew Chisholm, Labourer and ... MacPherson (no first name given).

Alastair

Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 February 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Alastair, you are a gem! That's wonderful information to have. Lots of news stuff in there and definitely the correct family. Thank you!
Dean/e   Valentine   (Lancashire/Cheshire)
McIntosh   Meldrum   (Inverness, Scotland)
Smiley   Benson   (County Tyrone, Ireland)
Downer   Cox   (Hampshire/Wiltshire)

Offline davemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi OzEnigma,

I do apologise about the delay in contacting but this is the first time I have used this site.  Just came across your thread in relation to McIntosh/Meldrum.  My great parents (x3) are James McIntosh & Margaret Meldrum.  Obviously would need to confirm a few things with you if this is correct. (ie your dates, etc).  I was actually out at their son-in-law's grave on the weekend (my great great grandfather).  I currently live not far from Kingussie/Duthil.  I would be able to confirm a few further details with you (as my records are not too bad) - Rather than post family details publicly I would be more than happy to exchange emails and I can give assist you with some further information.  Hope this helps.

Regards
David Macpherson.

Offline jodiG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 January 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi..this thread is interesting  ;)  as I am researching too McIntosh/Meldrum .  My father's grandmother was Isabella Flora McIntosh who appears to be James and Margaret's granddaughter.

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 January 13 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi jodiG, I am Isabella Flora McIntosh's (she was always known as Flora) granddaughter and grew up in Gympie. I have some McIntosh family history to share. Send me a private message and we can swap email addresses and information, if you like.

Cheers
Sandy
Dean/e   Valentine   (Lancashire/Cheshire)
McIntosh   Meldrum   (Inverness, Scotland)
Smiley   Benson   (County Tyrone, Ireland)
Downer   Cox   (Hampshire/Wiltshire)

Offline jodiG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 January 13 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my post Sandy, will send you a pm.  Jodi

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Rowanali joining the chat.  I am researching the history of our Highland Cottage, and wondered if I could help anybody else doing the same.  I grew up in a house in Edinburgh that was called 'Tolvah'.  My parents called it that because of a life changing holiday they had had in the early 1960's at a but'in'ben in the highlands.  They were there for a month with 2 preschoolers.  There was no running water or electricity.  It will be the cottage that your ancestor lived in.  I believe it means 'drowning pool'!!  Anyway I do have wonderful photos of it somewhere but it might take a while to find them digitally.  It still exists.
ali

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
OK, easier than I thought.  Here are two photos....