Author Topic: McIntosh / MacIntosh, Kingussie - census info please  (Read 15305 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh / MacIntosh, Kingussie - census info please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 February 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Kingussie can be very cold and remote in the winter. It's just off the A9 which is the main route to Inverness from the south. I pass it quite often.

Rothiemurchus still has some of the old Caledonian Forrest close by and has become a tourist spot.

I'll see if I can find some more on your family over the weekwnd.

Regards

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 February 08 09:28 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting that you are so familiar with a place I can only dream of visiting - so far away from where I am.
I visited my great grandfather's grave interstate recently to say hello. He sounded like an interesting fellow. Here's a photo:
Dean/e   Valentine   (Lancashire/Cheshire)
McIntosh   Meldrum   (Inverness, Scotland)
Smiley   Benson   (County Tyrone, Ireland)
Downer   Cox   (Hampshire/Wiltshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 February 08 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Just been looking at Margaret Meldrum's baptism on the IGI (controlled extraction) and she was born a little earlier than you thought:

Margaret Meldrum bpt. 2nd September 1827, born 20 July 1827, Duthil with Rothiemurchus, Inverness

Parents - Donald Meldrum amd Katrin Chisholm (I presume the Catherine Chisholm aged 62 with them in the 1861 census).

This is also the only one showing on Scotland's People.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 February 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Gadget. Yes, Catherine Chisholm was known as Katrin. They weren't married, apparently, so their daughter Margaret was variously known as Margaret Chisholm and Margaret Meldrum.

Donald Meldrum's parents were John Meldrum (b.1770 d.1845) and Isobel Shaw. Isobel was from Tolvah, according to these family records I have here - and when I looked it up on Google Maps I found it looks to be a remote part of Scotland. The family tree then branches back to some notables and ends with Philip de Fendarg or Phendarg who died around 1236. I've been trying to figure out if these records are accurate as I don't know where they came from (someone in England, I suspect) but so far things are adding up - even if some dates are out from time to time.

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Sandy ... & Gadget :)

Sandy you will have got my last message which doesn't really tell us any more than Gadget has dug up already here. The Chisholm team are embroiled in another quest at the moment but I hope we can help find out some more about Catherine/Katrin ... if Gadget doesn't beat us to it :D
Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you so much Alastair, I did get that message. You've both been so helpful. I've yet to fully digest the information you've provided. I can appreciate being busy - I start university next week and have a ton of books to read! :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Both

Now what are you needing - I finished University for the fourth time back in 1993, so I've got heaps of time. BUT keep that mind active  ;D ;D ;D

You say what you need and I'll take a look  :D

Gadget

Offline OzEnigma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget - Well I am starting university - for the first time - at age 40-mumble-something. It's never too late, right? :)

I need to sift through the information supplied to see what I specifically need now. Alastair is kindly looking into the Chisholm connection in the family tree. For the moment, I'd like to know more about the region. Is Tolvah a rural area or is there (was there) a village there in the 1700's? Since Donald Meldrum was a farmer, I'm assuming that Blackmill is a rural area.

I have extremely scanty information right now. I might go ahead and order some birth, marriage and death certificates in time.

There is something on the family tree that puzzles me. A little note after one name saying: (Isal) and, after another saying, (Tenant of Isal 1715). At least I think that's what it says. Do either of you have any idea what this refers to? A place name perhaps? Google Maps didn't find it.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I went back to University after an academic/research career when I was in my early 40s and did a degree in Fine Art. I had great fun, so you enjoy it  :)

I'll take a look tomorrow.

In the mean time, this site:

http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/

is best for old Scottish places. I was able to find a farm that my ancestors tenanted that wasn't shown on anything else.

Just go through steadily.

Back in the morning!

Gadget  :)