Author Topic: Carn Choinnich Burial Ground  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Carn Choinnich Burial Ground
« on: Saturday 23 February 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I am going through a list of war graves in Argyll that have not been photographed for The War Grave Photographic Project.

This is one of the them but I am not sure where the burial ground is located.  There is "Tiree, Kilkenneth, Cill Choinnich" but I would have expected someone from Tayvallich to be buried nearer to there.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas (or better still a picture of the grave!)

Name: GILLIES
Initials: N D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Date of Death: 25/11/1920
Service No: Clyde Z/10078
Additional information: Son of Hugh Gillies. Born at Tayvallich.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: At North end, close to entrance.
Cemetery: CARN CHOINNICH BURIAL GROUND

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Carn Choinnich Burial Ground
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Can I try asking again to see if anyone knows this burial ground?

MB
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline marart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
This burial ground is at Carsaig near Tayvallich - you will find details on the attached link www.knapdalepeople.com/MICarsaig.html.  This burial ground is near where I live so when I get a chance I will go out there and take some pictures for you.  I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Marina

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I know the one now and I have been there before.  It can be a problem working out which is the right place and not helped by often them being put under the wrong county!

I used to try and do some as I travelled around with my work but only had time to do the most obvious ones.

I have to come down that way again because I could not find the war graves in three places on Saturday so will get a copy of the CWGC guides and do this one at the same time.  They will be family headstones and not CWGC ones so can be more difficult to find without some information.

Thanks again

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Carn Choinnich Burial Ground - Alfred Goering
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 20 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I was down at Tayvallich a week ago and found the grave and photographed it.

When I got home, I was reading the history of Tayvallich and saw the references to the burial of Alfred Goering at Carsaig

Greenock Advertiser - Saturday 20 February 1864
Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
SUPPOSED SHIPWRECK. - On Wednesday the body of a man was cast ashore at Carsaig, Knapdale, in the Sound of Jura, about 19 miles from Ardrishaig. It was apparently that of the master of a vessel, and the following receipt was found upon it — Inverness, 12th January, 1864. Brig Juno to P. Turner. To one ton coals, 16s. Paid for P. Turner, P. Sinclair.” There was a ring one the fingers inscribed “ Charlotte Doodt d. April 1860, and in one of the trowser pockets were eleven sovereigns and six shillings in silver. The property was taken possession of the customs officer at Ardrishaig, and the body has been interred. It is supposed that the Juno struck on a rock in the Sound of Jura, and foundered with all board.

I had a look at Ancestry and think I found their marriage - has this all been found previously?

Friedrich Alfred Goering married Elizabeth Charlotte Doodt 27 Dec 1861 in Pilau, Russia - perhaps the name on the ring was her mother?  She was born 8 Jul 1841 OstPreussen.

O'Shea - Quebec