Author Topic: Gallipoli & France 1917.. how many survived both?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Gallipoli & France 1917.. how many survived both?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 06:48 GMT (UK) »
A friend of my fathers served in Gallipoli, was wounded, but went back until they left.  He then moved to France and eventually made it back to Australia.  All that for a man who the English deemed not likely to become a good soldier a and tossed him out early 1914. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Three of my Australian 'cousins' were on the Western Front, all survived, but one was repatriated due to trench foot by the sound of it. Presumably, they were first at Gallipoli.

I know next to nothing about Gallipoli and don't want to. It was a brilliant plan (Churchill) first naval, then landings of troops, yet it was the most inept operation since King Charles I's La Rochelle expedition. The sailors and troops were superb but the admirals and generals were totally incompetent.
There is no reason to assume that an Australian who served in France had previously served in Gallipoli - most didn't.

Gallipoli was an insane venture from the outset - Churchill was rightly sacked for his part in it.

To the unimaginative British mindset perhaps.

I'll ask the Australian cousins whether they were West Front only or both..
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Inwood brothers all served at Gallipoli then on the Somme .

Reginald Inwood received the VC at Polygon and his brother Robert  was killed at Pozieres. His other brother Harold was injured in France and returned to Australia in late 1917
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I have received a reply from Australia.

All three were Western Front only.

WJ Saunders 1895 to 1954
HHS 1897 to ?
HPRS 1899 to ?

WJS was mustard gassed and received gunshot wound.
HPRS trenchfoot winter 1917, evacuated but re-enlisted later.

Their father was John Saunders 1859 to 1931 Superintendant New South Wales Mounted Police.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather served in the Royal Welch Fusiliers (8th Batt) He survived Gallipoli and went on to fight in Egypt and India. I'm unsure about France. My mum wasn't aware he had even fought in WW1, it was never mentioned by him or his son. Photo taken 1917
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.