Author Topic: Rootsweb. How reliable???  (Read 4079 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rootsweb. How reliable???
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 February 08 12:47 GMT (UK) »
People keep asking me for references for census returns, I've never noted any of mine at all, so I have to keep going back and searching again amongst the mistranscriptions to find them.

Am I alone in this or do all you good people  ;D note down every census reference??

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 February 08 13:03 GMT (UK) »

Kerry - make a point now of doing so if there was a problem finding it - otherwise  sorry to say . . . . .doesn't help for all those in the past I didn't note, tho  :'(
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 February 08 02:53 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone it is entirely possible that even with undeniable proof a person will not change what they have. a perfect example my3x great grandfather his name was peter drylie he married christina mcpherson.  the igi lists his last name as drawley. with parents david drawley and ellen tod, however a very nice gentleman in england sent me a copy of their marriage bans which list him as peter drylie coal miner bachelor son of david drylie and helen tod. the person who orignally sent me the info on david and helen to this day does not have my peter with this family. so their family history will never be complete as peter and christina raised 9 children after immigrating to the us.    beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 February 08 02:55 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone as a reply to the census records if you are entering your data into any type of family tree program and do a search through that program most have a way of attaching that source to your file.    beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 February 08 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Beans

Yes I have package that allows me to add census returns to people on my tree and there is a box to add census reference, so far I have ignored it  :-\ :-\

I really ought to go back and do them all, I know.

Another job that will take time.  ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....