Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93223 times)

Offline Leza Bennett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 02 February 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my ancestry and my mother was born a Mayo.Her father was Fredrick William Thomas Mayo .His father was William George Mayo .His father was George Mayo who married Elizabeth Damaris Messenger .So I think we are distantly related .Very interesting that they were tinker /peddlars .I love the old photo that is on your post is it "the Mayos " ?

Offline davem43624

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 02 February 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
In response to many earlier posts in this thread, Mayo is not a gypsy name, at least from the Romany websites I've visited. It also has no association with Ireland: the name was around for several centuries before the county! CathayB is right! I should also point out that although my grandfather was indeed a marine, he saw no action in WW1. His ship was a "river monitor", which was sent around Africa and through the Suez Canal to fight the Turks. The ship was in dock for some months after a collision in the Suez Canal, and WW1 ended before it was repaired!

Offline JenRob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 04 March 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I came across this site today after researching me Mum's family tree & where she was born when her Mother was evacuated during WW2.
We also have the name Mayo / Deacon (Deakins) in our family tree.
My Nan told me from a young age that she was a Romani Gypsie & that there was a Mayo who married a Deacon, neither wanted to change their surname, so it became Mayo-Deacon / Deakin.
As a child I didn't pursue the history behind it, sadly me Nan passed away in 2007.

I have done some research & also found the same information supplied by
Some more census info (from https://familysearch.org/ )below that I think are the same family.

I couldn't find a place called "Hayfield" in Sussex or an "Arfold". Maybe he meant that he was literally born in a hay field

1861 census
Lyam Road, Lambeth, Surrey
George Mayo   Head   M   25   Hayfield, Sussex - labourer
Elizabeth Mayo   Wife   F   22   Lambeth, Surrey
William G Mayo   Son   M   1   Lambeth, Surrey

Marriage
March 1859-Wandsworth
George Mayo - Elizabeth Damaris Messenger
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

1901 census
Ockford Road, Godalming, Surrey, England
George Mayho   Head   M   64   Arfold, Sussex- Carpenter Journeyman
Damaris E Mayho   Wife   F   60   Norwood, Surrey
Jane E Mayho   Daughter   F   28   Farnham, Surrey
William A Howard   Boarder   M   33   Aldershot, Hampshire

So it seems that I may have a connection with others on this site.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
   If Ireland follows the same rules on locative surnames as England then someone called (say) Charlie Mayo would simply be Charlie from Mayo according to his ancestry. It would therefore be possible for a family of Irish Travellers to be surnamed Mayo I would think?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Very interested in this post as my 3 x grandparents are the James Deacon and Elizabeth Mayo mentioned within these posts. I have carried out a lot of research on my families and am interested to hear from anybody who have the same names within their lines. My Deacon family travelled mostly the Southern Counties and settled from Portsmouth to Surrey. My Deacon line settled in Worthing Sussex and the Women were the Flower Sellers and the men were General Dealer/Horse Dealers. Names I have on my tree are Harris, Beeney, Johnson, Dighton, Smith, Rhoades, Bacon, Barber, Ripley, Eastwood to name a few. I have also had my AncestryDNA done and have DNA matches to Bowers, Stanley, Lovell and Boswell families (how they fit into my paper trail yet I do not know)

Paul
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »

I couldn't find a place called "Hayfield" in Sussex or an "Arfold". Maybe he meant that he was literally born in a hay field

1901 census
Ockford Road, Godalming, Surrey, England
George Mayho   Head   M   64   Arfold, Sussex- Carpenter Journeyman
Damaris E Mayho   Wife   F   60   Norwood, Surrey
Jane E Mayho   Daughter   F   28   Farnham, Surrey
William A Howard   Boarder   M   33   Aldershot, Hampshire

Arfold, sounds alot like Arford, West Sussex to me with a bad accent, lol? Lots of hayfields there!
George May(h)o looks to be born pre civil registration, make him harder to find, maybe baptism somewhere only?

Carpenter Journeyman - means George Mayo served an apprenticeship in carpentry and had a master.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I think this is George Mayo in the Newspapers

"BOARD OF GUARDIANS
... elderly intra named George Mayo, employed a carpenter by Mr. Pitt at some new buildings at Ebley, fell from scaffold a distance of about 18 feet. He was attended Dr. Power, who found that no bones were but that the man had suffered ..."
Saturday 22 October 1898, Gloucester Citizen

Ebley is near Goldaming and the description of George Mayo fits

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Builders, so scary!

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline tmm1975

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Cathayb, did you ever manage to find out anymore information on George and Ann Munday nee Mason?

Long time, i know.  Lost interest for quite a while, obviously renewed now!

Cheers
Tanya
Beacham-Sussex & WA, Harrold-Norfolk & WA, Jennings-Wiltshire & WA & SA, Henningsen-Denmark, Tas & WA, Metcalf-Suffolk & WA