Author Topic: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt  (Read 42232 times)

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 March 12 03:22 BST (UK) »

Cathy,

I saw your message regarding Donald Mackay and Margaret Nicholson and we to are linked to the same family through Donald and Margaret's son James Norman Nicholson Mackay ( see previous posts )
James N.N.Mackay and Margaret McKeon were my Husband's Great Grandparents.

I would be interested in hearing from you,

Cheers Christine
ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 March 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
Cathy you need to make another post (reply) a smiley will do
 to this thread then you can contact your relatives via a PM

PM click on the persons aviator scroll down to the left to send this person a message via Personal message
Elizabeth

Moderator comment -
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DeeMackay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 March 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Sorry but our William McCallum's aren't the same, his wife was born in Old Meldrum coming from the Mackay family and he was born in the USA.  However, please get in touch with me (I'm also new to this site and don't use it as much as I should to get comfortable with it) because I'm a contributor to a book that is being put together on all the McCallum's who came to South Africa and I'm sure that I can help you.

@Christine - no reply from the relatives of Robert Mackay yet?  What a pity!!

Thanks
Dee
Webster, Mackay, Oldmeldrum,  Nicholson, Sutherland, McCallum, Dunoon, Harker, McLellan, Russell, McAlpine, Kennedy, Smith, Cumming, Lane, Devon,  Cloete, Vienings, Leemhuis, Schoonraad, Auret, Raatjes,  Kuiper, Holland, Germany, Myers, Yorkshire, Goodger, Penfold, Watson, Coates, Williamson, Marshall,  Wallis, Galer, London, Horrell, Radford,  Howe, Ruff, Oelrichs, Brown, Brenchley, Treviranus, Lorent, Kohne, Timmerman,  Dwerhagen, Huneken, Schlepe, Schnedermann, Von Aschen,

Offline Toonsis42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 May 12 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi. I don't know if you are still interested, but I am a direct descendent of the Dornoch MacKays. I've tracked them back from Winnipeg,Canada through Edinburgh to as far as Thomas and his wife Mary. If this is of any use to you, please get in touch. :)

Offline Catherine McC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I appreciate your message, but think we're from different lines. I'm now trying to track David McKay, who vanished from Glasgow after the 1891 census, taken when he was 38.

Good luck to you,
Cathy
McKay McCallum Robertson Halket Harper Steel Milne Lumsden Park Wilson

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome both of you to rootschat
There are many people in Rootshat who will most likely go out of their way to help you
in your searching I too have a line of Mackays but mine are from Helmsdale
Sutherland
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline EdwardW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 November 16 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris
I have posted previously.
But have lost the ealien email aND hAve had to reregister
A quick review for anyone trying to contact me is below. 
Alex porter and Mary Mackay emigrated to south Africa with their children. another son was born in the eastern cape. His daughter Mary Porter married  Fenning Norman Kidson and was my wife's grandmother. Several of her children are still alive and are scattered from New Zealand to Canada.
Family tradition is that her cousin,  a Mackay was one of the early aviators to fly from Britain to South Africa.
Another of Alex and Mary's descendants is Don Porter probably in his seventies now. I think he is a member of the Aberdeen FHS.
I have always wondered what brought a carpenter from Culsalmond to Rogard in the 1850s. I suspect they may have been family through the Nicholsons of Assynt.
Would you have any information in regard to these Nicholsons in the Mackay family
Edward

Offline EdwardW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 November 16 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine McCain
I had an idea that David Mackay may have been the solo flyer to South Africa in the early part of the 20th century. However he is almost certainly too old to be him.
have previously registered on rootschat as "EDWARD" BUT have no recollection of the password and that email is now defunct. But have a look at the more detailed posting earlier.

Offline EdwardW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 November 16 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee
It is my experience that most people who emigrated usually had some family connection to encourage their move. In the case of your Mackay moving to South Africa,  she may have been following family. Perhaps the Boer war soldiers and setitles.

If you know where she settled I may be able find a link to the Porters