Author Topic: Hodgson grave in St Michaels Workington  (Read 1412 times)

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodgson grave in St Michaels Workington
« on: Monday 25 February 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I visited St Michaels Church Workington,to try and trace my ancestors,Hodgsons and Grahams. Jane Hodgson  b.1823 & John Graham b.1820 were christened and married there .
Janes father Joseph Hodgson was born 1879 Workington.
I found a headstone of the Hodgson family,with all the family names that went on down the generations. I am sure this must be some of my ancestors.
The inscription is briefly... Martha the wife of ? Hodgson of Ron or Rom ( Does anyone know of Ron or Rom ?) who died Jan 19 1762 aged 23 yrs. The stone also mentions a Joseph and Mary Hodgson who's 2 children were buried there. Help needed PLEASE!
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline simone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgson grave in St Michaels Workington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've looked in Cumberland index of Phillimore Atlas & Index to Parish Registers, but can't see anywhere beginning Ron or Rom, closest  could see was Ponsonby, registration district Whitehaven :-\
I also have a Jane Hodgson in my tree, born c 1783, but I've not yet worked out who her parents are :-[  She married James Rule at Torpenhow, and 9 children, baptised at St Michael Workington.  I wonder if she could be a sister to your Joseph c 1779, given that he named a child Jane too.

Are there any other names you could read on the memorial :)

Thanks

Simone x

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 March 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simone, The inscription also read ..Also lies Mary,daughter of Joseph and Mary Hodgson,died Feb 10 1773 age 3 yrs and 3 mths also Elizabeth their daughter departed this life 1777 aged 4  ? yrs Also the said Joseph Hodgson departed this life?? (illegable)
These names all followed down the generations,this makes me think it must be my ancestors. Do you know of any of these names in your research?Possiblyof the same family.
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline simone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 March 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jsearch :)

My Jane called her children Robert, Catherine, Margaret, William, Jessie, Ann, James, Jane, Isabella and Jonn.  All baptised at St Michael 1807-1827.

There probably is a connection between the families somewhere :-\  It's frustrating isn't it when you get back to here, trying to unravel families ??? :-\ ;D

Sorry I can't be more help :-[

Simone x