Author Topic: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please  (Read 31939 times)

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please
« on: Monday 25 February 08 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone would be able to check the Baptism record for Lavinia Trewartha baptised 13 Oct 1833 in St Hilary. Her parents were William Trewartha and Elizabeth Hitchens.  What I'm hoping to discover is William's profession at the time as this may help to explain why the family left Cornwall.

Also looking for Elizabeth Ann Trewartha born c1831 Penzance and Mary Jane Trewartha born c1827 Falmouth area - possibly St Blazey.

Hoping someone can help me with this.
Kilmartin

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with your query but I was at college in the '60s with a chap called Rick Trewartha from Perranporth.  :)

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 08 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi kilmartin,

If noone is able to view the register for you, you may find that, since you have an exact date and parish for the event, that by emailing the CRO with the information you have, they may lookup the additional information from the entry for you at no charge.  ;)

They can certainly provide printouts of any entries required for a small charge. The same hangling fee applies regardless of the number of printouts requested, so if you would like printouts for your records it may pay to order multiple enties at the same time.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=38210

Perhaps this is Mary's baptism

TREWARTHA Mary Jane baptised 20 Apr 1825 St Gluvias parents William and Elizabeth (St Gluvias is in the Falmouth District, where St Blazey is in the St Austell District)

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 08 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kris that is a helpful suggestion, I hadn't realise that the CRO would have the resources to do such a check.  I'll give it a go.
Regards
Kilmartin

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I have been looking around for this family . I see they are in Wales in 1851.  Their son William was b c 1839 in Cardiff, Glamorgan. I was thinking that if we could find them in the 1841, Wales ,  William snr. may  state his occupation as something other than a Policeman .

I have trawled through the 1841 ,Wales to no avail ....

Another thought ...If we could find his, William Snr.'s , family in Cornwall we may find everyone having the same occupation.

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Thanks for your interest.

This branch of Trewartha's were in Wales by 1841.   William has been found to have been either a Turnkey, Policeman or Postmaster throughout his time in Cardiff and Monmouthshire.  I was just hoping that his occupation might have been recorded on the christening record of one of his daughters (Lavinia in St Hilary seems definately correct) - this profession may then help to confirm possibly the St Gluvias christening of Mary Jane (assuming he wasn't a miner!). 

One of the problems with William Trewartha is attaching him to the correct Trewartha family in Cornwall.  At his marriage in St Clement in 1823 he was described as being of Kenwyn.  There is a possible christening for him in Gwennap in 1799.  But there was also another William Trewartha who married Elizabeth Barratt in 1822 in Gwennap who may have been this William Trewartha. 

So there were at least two William and Elizabeth Trewartha's producing children at around the same time in Cornwall.  I was hoping that by finding my William's profession it might help to confirm the family groupings - and possibly other clues to his family (a long shot, I know).  Incidentally ancestry.com gives William born c1800 Truro in 1851 and c1799 Cranbash(!?) in 1861.  As he was living in Wales I was trying to imagine what place might have sounded like Cranbash to the Welsh!

Kilmartin

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi kilmartin,

Looking at that 61 entry it looks like Crantask to me. I do believe that is in fact a t and not a b. the next 2 letters look to be a and s. Now to me the last letter is a k not a h. I realise that gives me Crantask which does not exist either - but it is horribly like Crantock which is what hit me when I first looked at it before analyzing the letters - and Crantock, I do hold the microfiche for ;)

Now examining the fiche I see  ;D

William the son of William and Jane TREWARTHA was baptised Crantock 9 Dec 1798

Mary Ann 25 Nov 1800

Now I believe that marriage took place in St Clement

William TREWARTHA of Fowey = Jane MARTYN by Licence 30 Jul 1794

Jane was a Crantock girl baptised 6 Oct 1770 Crantock the daughter of Thomas and Anne

The Martyn family were a well respected family among the Gentry of Crantock and St Columb Minor. (probably explains why the marriage was by licence, common among The Gentry) This family would certainly not be marrying miners.  ;)

29 Jul 1766.....MARTYN Thomas Bachelor of Crantock = KING Anne Spinster OTP by Licence dated May 27 1766 St Columb Minor Both Signed. Witnesses: Samuel Martyn and John Martyn.

Most of the Martyn's were Farmers and Merchants (even the odd Doctor or two)

Do you have the full entry for the 1823 marriage? I am curious as to witnesses - also could William read and write? (Policeman, Post Master - I am betting he could, particularly if he was Jane Martyn's son) As you say, curious about his occupation at the time of Lavinia's birth. I do see this Gwennap Miner married to an Elizabeth. (They seem to stay around Gwennap) If your man is who I think he might be, there is no way I can see his occupation would be a miner.

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 February 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what can I say.  At long last it looks like William Trewartha fits into Cornwall.

William Trewartha died age 70 Jun q 1869 in Newport, Monmouthshire district. This is consistent with a christening date of 9 Dec 1798.

Unfortunately, I do not have the witness names for the 1823 marriage. But I do have some circumstantial evidence which makes this link seem good.  Another descendent of William Trewartha has a photo of a Joseph Martyn in the Yeomanry (formerly Captain 7th (The Queens Own) Hussars from Victorian times) - he was supposidly some sort of relative.  It was recalled that on visits to Cornwall in the early c20th, a grand house behind a high wall was pointed out as a former family residence - the location of which has been lost in time.  Your information regarding the Martyn's and their connections makes this seem a reliable memory.

I had thought that Elizabeth Hitchens (wife of William) was christened in Redruth (26 Dec 1797) to William and Mary.  Any idea whether this Hitchens family are likely to have married the Trewatha/Martyns?

Thank you very much Kris for your input - it is very much appreciated.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 February 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi kilmartin,

Thomas Martyn (a yeoman) died when Jane was only a child 1780 so his will will not help with Trewartha but will certainly list his holdings.  ;)

http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/dserve/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

I know some of the properties in the hands of members of the Martyn family in Crantock were  Tregunnel (Jane's Brother's family) Penpol, Trevemper and I am sure many, many more. A grand house behind a high wall certainly sounds likely.

Joseph in 7th Hussars, I can't put my finger on but Joseph is certainly a family name. Jane's Grandfather was Joseph. Her brother William had a son Joseph King Martyn in 1807. Certainly sounds like we are onto something here, doesn't it.

Checking for William Trewartha Wills seems mainly Gwennap. Any likely baptisms on IGI were Gwennap. So we see there were William Trewartha's who were Yeomen in Gwennap previously. (The Redruth one isn't him, I wondered - 1826 but found that burial - he was 21)

Interesting as far as Burials there is a Jane buried Kenwyn 1830, the problem is her age. Lists her as 54 where she should be 60. I find these educated members of the gentry are usually very accurate with ages, just had to wonder with your William listing Kenwyn at marriage.

Now I realised I mucked up the name yesterday. With only the two baptisms listed I looked for burials and I did notice that buried on the same day as Mary Ann's baptism was Mary TREWATHA (No R) I looked back at the two baptisms and there is no r in those either. (Williams a little indecisive, but Mary Ann's clearly no r) Another point of interest is baptised on the same day directly under Mary Ann's baptism I note

Mary Trewatha BRAY daughter of William and Ann Bray (Or I think that is the surname)

No idea if or what the connection may be there - and with this burial being on the same day, unfortunately nothing else is mentioned. We do often see in these pre-form burials that it will be stated with a child as son/dau of. This fellow did not do it as I see none listed as children and some of the burials during this era must have been. The baptism lists Mary Ann, the burial lists just Mary so looks like it was probably not the same person. An earlier daughter named Mary is a possibility I guess (or some other connection) Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I think printouts of those two St Clement marriages should be the next step here. Do you know what the Hitchins family did?

Kris  :D