Author Topic: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please  (Read 31938 times)

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonsaitron,

It is interesting to now have a connection to the Trenerry line of Margaret Martyn.  It seems quite a remarkable co-incidence that you should possess a cup presented to Captain Joseph Trenerry of the 7th Hussars.  I too am beginning to wonder whether it could be the same man.  I have identified that there would only be one likely Joseph Martyn (son of William Martyn and Mary Hiscutt) who would be a close enough relative of approximately the right age.  At the moment I have no evidence that he was even in the army.

Joseph Martin Trenerry was christened in St Clements, Cornwall 6 Jul 1806 - son of Thomas and Margaret Trenerry.  In 1861 he is married to Elizabeth and living in Hawkesbury and Upton, Gloucestershire.  He is described as army retired, adjt yeomanry.  He died in 1867.  As he had a middle name of Martin then perhaps the inscription on the back of the photo just referred to his christian names.

Details given on a Martyn chart for the children of Thomas and Margaret Trenerry are :-
1)  William who married Mary Eastmead
2)  Ann who married William Dunstan
3)  Margaret who married W Williams
4)  Edward who married Elizabeth Martyn
5)  Thomas who married Hannah Sutton
6)  Peggy
7)  Joseph

This might help identify if this is your Trenerry family but it would be a remarkable co-incidence if it is not.  Unfortunately there are no dates but the names do tally with the IGI.

Kilmartin

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonsaitron,

A big Welcome to RootsChat and the Cornwall Board.  :D

How lovely you have found us. - You certainly appear to have a connection here.  ;D

And Hello again kilmartin  :D

I have things a little different to what kilmartin has posted here re your line Bonsaitron ::)

Thomas TRENNERY of St Clements Bachelor = Margaret MARTYN OTP spinster by Licence 6 Jan 1793 Crantock Thomas signed with his mark, Margaret signed witnesses Mary Martyn and Margaret Martyn

Children of Thomas and Margaret

Anne was baptised 14 Jun 1795 St Clement = Samuel DUNSTAN of Truro 2 Nov 1817 by licence St Clement NEK but of possible interest a William Fenerry Dunstan was baptised in 1822 Perranarworthal

William was baptised 12 Feb 1797 St Clement = Sukey/Suky (Even Susan) EASTMEAD 25 Feb 1822 St Clement. 8 Children. William was a butcher

Peggy was baptised 6 May 1798 St Clement and was buried 25 Jan 1799 St Clement

Edward was baptised 6 Oct 1799 St Clement = Grace MARTYN 3 Mar 1831 Clewer Berkshire (1851 Budock - Barrack Sergeant) There is a 14 year old dau Ann in 1851 b  Berkshire - cant see them in 1841. There is an IGI exctracted record for the baptism of an earlier daughter Ann in 1832 in London (Father is listed as Edward Martyn Trenerry) also Emily in 1834 London

Thomas Martin was baptised 11 Oct 1801 St Clement = 1. Ursula WARREN 19 Sep 1829 St Kerverne who died 23 Jul 1836 Buckshead and was buried 26 Jul 1836 St Clement - No Known Issue = 2. Elizabeth SUTTON 11 Aug 1839 Kenwyn At the time of his second marriage he was described as a butcher (Son of Thomas a butcher)  5 children. Thomas was a butcher

Peggy Martin was baptised 30 dec 1804 St Clement = Robert HARPUR of Kenwyn 1 Nov 1822 St Clement NEK

Joseph Martin was baptised 6 Jul 1806 St Clement He was certainly in the 7th Hussars
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0348/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0349/
Joseph = Elizabeth (Durrant or Ward) 1856 in York. Elizabeth was from Suffolk (1861 Hawkesbury And Upton Gloucestershire - Army Retired Adj Yeomanry) Joseph died 1867 -  there was an inquest (Accidental Death - pistol possible Suicide  :o ) 1871 Elizabeth is on pension - widowed with an adopted daughter Laura Conse Sprigge from Suffolk aged 10. - 1861 Laura is wiith her family in Suffolk NEK

I don't have a Margaret = Williams  :-\

I have found no reference to Joseph MARTYN of the 7th Hussars so as you say kilmartin perhaps your photo is if Joseph Martin TRENERRY. Do you have a Photo by any chance Bonsaitron?

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilmartin and all

I can't help feeling that there might be a link to William (Billy) Trewartha Bray (1794 - 1868) here somewhere?

He was an ex-miner who became a celebrated Methodist Preacher responsible for building several chapels.  Buried at Baldhu Church.  Famously known as Billy Bray in Cornwall.

Possible? 

Su

Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline BONSAITRON

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 09:43 BST (UK) »
 Hi ,
and thanks to you both for the extremely quick responses :D

my Thomas Martin Trenerry was definately married to Elizabeth Sutton so it appears that this is right family !!
My husbands family are descended from their son Thomas born in 1840.

with regards to Joseph Martin Trenerry the cup in my possession is the only reference i have to him .The inscription actually says" to Captain Trenerry,after 32 years service in the 7th Hussars,from his brother officers,1856"
to find out that this was Joseph  i then searched Harts, as per the link which you also provided.
I had assumed that Joseph and Thomas were probably brothers or cousins but had not been able to prove the link before your invaluable help.
my Trenerry family tree is a public tree on Ancestry  and has mostly been garnered from the census,being a complete beginner i am afraid i am unfamiliar with many of the references and abbreviation that you have used.
i really am most grateful for your help
Allison

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonsaitron,

It is great that this confirms your line and that it seems we now have the right "Joseph Martyn" so that has helped me greatly.

It is also interesting that the information on the Martyn chart is partially correct (first names appear wrong) - the same was true for my William Trewartha as it gave his marriage to Jane Hitchens and not Elizabeth as it should have been.  I guess that the Margaret that couldn't be found was Peggy Martin.

Interestingly it has also given additional children born to William Trewartha and Jane Martyn - Mary, James, Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Jane.  I tracked a christening for James son of William and Jane Trewartha in Fowey 7 Jun 1797 but have not found any of the others. Mary Ann is supposed to have married John Cornet but again I have not further evidence.  Names given to the children of William Trewartha and 'Jane' Hitchens were Mary. Joe.Thomas and William.  This list we know is incomplete.

Kilmartin

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Allison,

Anything you need help understanding - please ask. We were all newbies once, and are happy to help.  ;D

On looking at my post, I am guessing my OPC may be of concern

Here is a post which will explain that  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,223577.0.html

By using our Lexican you will be able to find explanations of most things which you may come across in your research and not fully understand.

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/lex-index.php

To learn how things work on RootsChat you will find information on how to do just about anything here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

Did you ever get those printouts kilmartin?

Kris  :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Just arrived in the post - various bits of information.

Lavinia dau of William and Elizabeth Trewartha 13th October 1833 St Hilary - occupation - Servant.
Mary Jane dau of William and Elizabeth Trewartha 20th April 1825 St Gluvias - occupation - Mariner.

Mary Ann, Susannah and Martha daughters of William and Elizabeth Trewartha 7th September St Blazey - occupation - miner, therefore this seems a totally different William and Elizabeth Trewartha.

Witnesses to the marriage of William Trewartha and Elizabeth Hitchens St Clement 2nd December 1823 were Jos. Philp and Mary Rundle.
Witnesses to the marriage of Wiliam Trewartha and Jane Martyn St Clements 30th July 1794 were Eliza ? and Wm Wills.

James Trewartha, yeoman, of Gwennap's will dated 1783 made provision for his wife Mary, son William and daughters Mary and Ann, the children being under the age of twenty one and unmarried at the time.   Therefore it would be reasonable to assume that William Trewartha son of James Trewartha and Mary Goldsworthy was the William Trewartha who married Jane Martyn at St Clement in 1794 as you suggested, Kris, as he inherited the residue of the estate (on a quick read through).

I now have the answer to my original query but so much more as well - this has been a very interesting post indeed!  I'm not quite sure how the servant fits in and William Trewartha ending up in Cardiff - not an obvious army connection after all!

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilmartin and all

I can't help feeling that there might be a link to William (Billy) Trewartha Bray (1794 - 1868) here somewhere?

He was an ex-miner who became a celebrated Methodist Preacher responsible for building several chapels. Buried at Baldhu Church. Famously known as Billy Bray in Cornwall.

Possible?

Su

Does this fit in anywhere?

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Su,

I have not really looked at the Brays but Kris found an Ann Trewartha marriage to William Bray in Jan 1794 at Kea - this Ann could have been the daughter of James Trewartha and Mary Goldsworthy especially as they had a daughter christened at Crantock the same day as William and Jane Trewartha in 1800.

Do you know if Billy Brays parents were William and Ann?

Kilmartin