Author Topic: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please  (Read 31937 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: TREWARTHA Baptism Lookup please
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 15 June 08 01:29 BST (UK) »
Well now this Joseph is the brother of John who married Mary Ann Trestrail Benbow, according to this tree.

http://www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/f104.htm

Seems they don't have anything further on the sister Mary.  Perhaps a place for the name he used at marriage to have come from. Mary Ann Trestrail Benbow didn't have a brother William Henry Bewbow did she?

I still don't see Joseph in the 1861.........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JPSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 16 June 08 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kris,
I am back again.    I have been busy going thro' piles of paper etc. and this is what I have found.
Marriage Certificate of William Trewartha and Sarah Quintrell.   It is the original copy and when we look at it closely in the place for William's parents he has actually put both parents names - William Benbow and Mary Trewartha.   Some people have obviously read the Mary as Henry, but the writing on the certificate is very good and the "M's" for Moonta Mines and Mary are identical. Also, information received from a book ( not sure which one now) in the Mortlock Library, Adelaide, SA has the marriage entry as William's parents as William and Mary.  They also have his birth date as 9.9.1846.  Could not remember having this  info. until I went thro' the paperwork!!
Passenger List of the Lincoln -
There was a mention of a Joseph Trewartha(2) and Ellen Trewartha with William T.  On looking at a detailed sheet from the YP Council offices, I found that a Joseph Godfrey T. is buried at Moonta in 1894, with a daughter, Elizabeth Jane T. (19 years) in 1896 - the leased plot was arranged with a Mrs. Joseph G. Trewartha in 1894. On checking on the net on the listings of Cemeteries, I found most of the remaining Tre. buried in Moonta cemetery are young children of Joseph Godfrey and Ellen.    No record of a burial for Ellen, however.   I presume on the shipping listings when they listed Joseph Tre. (2) meant that there were 2 Joseph's who came out, which meant they probably had their son, Joseph Godfrey (b. bef. 1/1/1864, Vogue) with them.
As Joseph G. (b.1838) died when he was 56 years perhaps Ellen remarried as I cannot find her on the All State listing for SA.
I noticed that there is a Mary Tre.chr. 19/11/1826, Gwennap who is a younger sister to John Tre.(who married Mary Ann Trestrail Benbow), who is an older sister to Joseph Godfrey Tre.   Keep coming back to her as the Mary on William's marriage cert. as his mother - not a lot of detail on miketree.do.uk site.   She was in Gwennap in 1841 Census.
Also,on the site Cornish Benbows - they have John Tre. married to Mary Ann Trestrail Benbow, with their 3rd child a William Tre. but he only lived 2 years. (b. 1849, d. 9/4/1851, St. Day), but in their history on the Benbow's I noticed that Mary Ann T/B, had a younger brother William Benbow, b. 1825, Trevethan, chr. 23/1/1826, Gwennap.
There is a William Henry Tre. b. abt. 1836, Trevarth, son of John Tre. and Ann Halse - don't know if there is any significance with this one. 
I feel as if I am getting awfully close - just can't confirm anything yet!!
Regards, JP.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 16 June 08 07:40 BST (UK) »
This is all sounding very good JP. We now have a connection to the known Benbow marriage. He travelled with John's brother Joseph - his wife and son - yes the (2) would indicate there were two Joseph's. Now the marriage cert, listing both parents names. - highly unusual for SA cert I must say, but what wonderful news. It does sound as if William was the illegitimate son of Mary Trewartha and William Benbow. Now Mary Benbow who married John, has a brother William who's age fits with Marys very nicely. The date of birth you have fits nicely with this 4 year old lodger also. Mary is away working and he is being cared for by someone else. The birth cert will probably only list Mary as mother. The only William Trewartha in 1846 is William Knight Trewartha. If that is him I wonder why Knight  :-\

Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JPSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 20 June 08 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kris,
I have not found anything more this week, but wanted to thank you for your assistance.   Have been looking on the net, but nothing has come up yet.
However, thank you once again,
JP

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Finally found Elizabeth Ann Trewartha!

Elizabeth Ann dau of William and Elizabeth Trewartha was Christened 27 Mar 1831 at Penznace - St Mary (Madron Chapelry). Father's occupation - Police Officer!

This seems a very early time to have been a Police Officer in Cornwall!

Kilmartin

Offline CML7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 08 April 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Trewartha's father, William Trewartha, b 1798 in Truro was a Turnkey (prison officer) in 1841, a police officer in 1851 and a postmaster in 1861 when he still lived with his wife Elizabeth in Castletown. He died in 1869 in the Newport area.

I think William Trewartha was my Great Great Great Grandfather. My uncle, John Trewartha Lewis was born 1st February 1926 (and his twin sister, Mary) in Wales. They are both still alive and 92 years old now. My aunt Mary still lives in the Newport area.

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 16 February 20 10:57 GMT (UK) »
William Trewartha KNIGHT born 1856 in Canada, was the s/o Joseph and Mary Ann Mitchell KNIGHT. all Canadians
Di
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips