Author Topic: Unusual name De Mamiel?  (Read 41755 times)

Offline KaWa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual name De Mamiel?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 March 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I am working on our family tree and on  My mothers side we are connected to Anna Maria Caroline and Baron Hoener de Mamiel. Caroline de Mamiel (1856-1922) married Thomas Renouf Mahy (1831-1884) in 1876.
I am interested in the history of the name . Your explanation may help with my search.
Cheers

Offline DebbieLee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 August 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi my grandmother Patricia Adeline Emily Retallick (DeMamiel) just passed away I have no history only her mother and fathers names and where she was born and grew up.
Her father was William Demamiel, Mother Caroline Demamiel
My grandmother was born in Narrandra grew up in Whitton and moved to Leeton She married John (Jack) Edgar Retallick.
I would appreciate any help I can re Demamiel  I would like to trace our heritage and start a family tree :)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 August 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
Since your family's in Australia you'll need to trace back a few generations, at least, before you can start making any connections to any Irish Demamiels.
Sicne Narrandra and Leeton are in N.S.W. I took a quick look in the index there and found a William Francis John Demamiel married 1938 to Caroline Pannowitz. Could this be your grandmother's parents?
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm
Would probably be best to start a new thread on Australia board where the experts there will be able to help more but remember that we can't post details of living people.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,165.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HellyMelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Finally remembered my login!!!!
The name De Mamiel appears to have been created on the marriage of Henry HAENER to Anna Maria Caroline SWIFT in Brighton ENGLAND in 1833.  Henry was the son of Jean Baptiste Nicholas HAENER and his first wife Anne Therese MAMIEL.

There are several people who have been researching the DE MAMIEL's for many years. I can put people in touch with a gentleman who has provided me with some fascinating research, please contact me offline.

At least 4 sons (possibly 5) of Henry and Anna emigrated to Victoria in teh 1850 - 1860's, with their daughters and the children of Henry's second marriage emigrating to North America.  Hence DE MAMIEL Creek, at Sooke on Vancouver Island, Canada being named after one of the girls.

The 4/5 brothers initially settled around northern Victoria (Barnawartha, Yackandanda....) Stanislas and Gordon (aka Thomas Gordon Charles) then moved to Darlington Point in NSW in about 1880.  At some point Stanislas moved to Howlong and Thomas to Whitton (ot far from Darlington Point).  A number of Stanislas' children remained in the area.

My grandparents are William Francis John DE MAMIEL and Caroline PANNOWITZ, however there are many DE MAMIEL's scattered across the area.

I have some images that I have had made from pictures in the Whitton Museum, but not yet sure how they fit in....

HellyMelly

Offline dilynne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 06:11 GMT (UK) »
My father was a De Mamiel born to Gordon in Whitton. His cousin was Jack Pannowitz. I do have a fair bit of  information but would love to know more about 'Lions Den' in County Meath Ireland and also about the details of the birthplace of Captain Henry Hoener De Mamiel in Nancy.

DL

Offline Sandgate_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 April 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
my grandmother was Caroline De Mamiel and she married Joseph Mansfield in Perth WA where my father was born in 1906. My father Louis Mansfield emigrated to England in the Thirties and he died in 1967. Grandmother Caroline (Carrie) died in 1961 in Kensington London. I can't find any records of Henry Hoener de Mamiel's parents so I'm stuck. All I've got is memories of a bit of verbal history from Carrie about her young life in the mid/late 1800's about her family and growing up in those days???

Offline Sandgate_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 April 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
my grandmother was Caroline De Mamiel born c.1868 and she married Joseph Mansfield in Perth WA where my father was born in 1906. My father Louis Mansfield then emigrated to England in the Thirties and he died in 1967. Grandmother Caroline (Carrie) died in 1961 in Kensington London. I can't find any records of Henry Hoener de Mamiel's parents so I'm stuck. All I've got is memories of a bit of verbal history from Carrie about her young life in the mid/late 1800's about her Melbourne family and growing up there in those days??? Nor can I find out much about the Perth Mansfields so I'm stuck there too!

Offline Sandgate_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 17:54 BST (UK) »

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/lionsden-house-on-c-53-acres-longwood-co-meath/357822

This is a link to sale brochre in 2010 of Lionsden House Co.Meath ancestral home of Swift De Mamiel. It looks rather run down.  I got it after Googling lionsden Co.Meath.

The farm was also sold last Autumn for c.740,000 euros.

Offline HellyMelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 06:14 BST (UK) »
I have a Caroline Sophia DE MAMIEL being daughter of Catherine QUIRK (b1843 d1922) and Henry Hoener DE MAMIEL (b1840 d1916) in my file - for whom I have been unable to determine any death information.  Thanks for the lead for England!

Caroline Sophia was 5th of 14 children to this couple.  She was born 9 Jun 1868 at Indigo Creek, Victoria, AUS.

Henry and Catherine married 21 Apr 1861 at Chiltern, Victoria, AUS.

I do noy know much about Catherine QUIRK.

Henry Hoener DE MAMIEL was the 4th child of Henri HAENER and Anna Maria Caroline SWIFT.  This couple appear to have used the surname DE MAMIEL from their marriage in 1833.  Henry was born 10 Feb 1840 in Dublin, Ireland.

Hope this helps.
HellyMelly