Author Topic: Unusual name De Mamiel?  (Read 41760 times)

Offline tmking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual name De Mamiel?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I must say this thread is quite informative. If only most family tree's I have worked on had this much information already gathered. My connection to the DeMamiel name is via my great grand mother Camila May Jones (nee DeMamiel). Her parents were George (Lucas? not 100% if that was his middle name) DeMamiel and Elizabeth (Selina) Eva Diedrich. George was the eldest son of Stanislaus Demamiel & Elizabeth Bourke. I note that the marriage is not listed on geradus5's post a couple of pages ago, it lists an Eliza Dunstan which is incorrect, Eliza was George Lucas Hoener deMamiel's (being the son of Baron Capt Henri) second wife.
Our family has a large family tree book which I assume most of you have as well, I think it goes back to the Swiftes. That is being delivered to me to have a look at. Given I see some mention of Wagga where the main information was from I dare say our family has a copy given Camilia's children mostly lived in Wagga. Although one of them who has since passed but his wife is still alive and very well does live on DeMamiel St in Darlington Point as I saw someone mention that street earlier.
King
Jones
Mitchell
DeMamiel

Offline tmking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
And now for my questions (and to get my 3 posts up). I guess this may also serve as a sort of summary for other people who come across this thread. These answers are probably in the family tree book being sent to me but I am impatient.
1. Baron Captain Henri Hoener DeMamiel, are these all of his children with Anna Maria
Stanislaus Hoener DeMamiel b.1834 d. 1899
Henry Hoener DeMamiel b. 1840 d. 1916
George Lucas Hoener deMamiel b. 1843 d. 1926
Thomas Gordon Charles Hoener deMamiel b. 1845 d. 1923
Fernanda Margaret Hoener DeMamiel b. 1841 d. ?
Oswald Napoleon William Hoener de Mamiel b. ? d. ?
Ciserina Sophia Hoener DeMamial b. ? d. ?

2. What were the names of his three children with Sarah McDermott?

3. George Lucas Hoener deMamiel, I read he married three times but I only know of the two being to Esther Robina Gibson and Eliza Dunstan/Dunstone. Is there a third?

4. The children of Thomas Gordon Charles Hoener & Catherine Robeson. I have 7 names but I believe there are 11.

5. George Lucas Hoener & Esther Robinia Gibson had three children, Agnes, Georgina b. 1868 (VIC) & Florence. George didn't have any in his second marriage to Eliza but if he did marry a third time did they have any children? I haven't seen any records if they did.

King
Jones
Mitchell
DeMamiel

Offline tmking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 12 March 20 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Third post.
I got the family tree book today. It was compiled by Bert with the info from Ken. Although it is 95 pages it only covers the descendants of Stanislas and TGCH. But given these two contributed to like 34 children it makes sense that it would be a sizeable book.
It's dated as a working draft December 1991 so it's very impressive given it's pre modern PC and internet searching.
I guess the question is, what does everyone use to map this and is there a 'single source' anymore?
I have been using GRAMPS for all of my genealogy stuff and it can import most file types.
King
Jones
Mitchell
DeMamiel

Offline brennans

• RootsChat Extra
  • family genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'm very pleased to find this thread tonight because today I worked on the two Mathews connections to my Brennans in Berkeley, California.

And I came across Emma Fernanda DeMamiel Mathews, the wife of Peter J. Mathews.

Emma had two brothers, and one of them, Gustave Hoener DeMamiel, has surviving mortuary records that list his parents as Capt Henri Hoener DeMamiel of France and Unknown McDermott (which is a bit odd because he, Emma, and their mother Sarah are all listed together on the 1880 census! Then again, he had not been married to his 2nd wife very long and his cause of death was listed as senility.)

I will try to attach it here. eta: It worked!

Emma and Peter Mathews had no children that I now of, but Gustave and Carrie, his first wife, had a son Archibald "Archie" Henri Hoener DeMamiel and a daughter Alma Miriam DeMamiel.

The other brother was Louis Victor, who married Ellen McKay.

Offline tmking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 02:47 BST (UK) »
Three and a bit years later a reply to the thread!
Welcome Brennans.
Interetsing that Gustave DOB is 1858 (I had 1855 but I have no idea where I got that from) and that he had been in the US for 55 years.
It's quite a fascinating family of how from one union 190 years ago there are so many decendents scatered all over the world and can be easily linked by the surname DeMamiel.
King
Jones
Mitchell
DeMamiel

Offline brennans

• RootsChat Extra
  • family genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome!

I was a bit hesitant to post to a thread that had been started in 2008, but decided if *I* was suddenly looking them up, more people would in time. :D

Offline HellyMelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 03 December 23 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Blimey - I am amazed to see this thread still going after all these years.

I am back....  ;D

HellyMelly