Author Topic: GATEHOUSE -- old streets  (Read 10432 times)

Offline spendy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GATEHOUSE -- old streets
« on: Wednesday 27 February 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
My family lived in Gatehouse in the 1770's and earlier, and old family notes indicate their house was on the "Main" or "Front" street, next to the river.  Can anyone tell me what the name of that street is now and if the old houses on that street still exist?  Thanks for your help....

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GATEHOUSE -- old streets
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 09:36 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1854 map available to view online at

www.old-maps.co.uk

Offline spendy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Sancti, thanks so much for giving me the website with the maps. I looked for a map and couldn't find one. This looks like a handy website for future use, too.  :)

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
The street called front street is now the High Street.and is in the parish of Girthon. Over the bridge the parish is Anwoth and the High Street becomes Fleet Street.  Most of the houses were built about 1780 and are still there.
I live in Gatehouse so if there's anything else you want help with do ask. I am working on  the history of Gatehouse so would be intersted to know the names of your ancestors and anything else you know about them.
Best wishes Mary
Kirkcudbrightshire : McMurray/ie, Haining, Hanning, McAdam, McClune.
Ayrshire: Livingstone
East Lothian: Anderson

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 February 08 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Callywoods

You have replied to a post of mine before I think. You may be interested to learn that, as previously mentioned, my gtx2 grandmother was married in Back Fleet Street, Anworth Parish, in 1855 according to the Rites of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. I was told that there was a Catholic House there and a priest would have been called over from Kirkcudbright or further afield to carry out the ceremony. Well, I have found another relative married in Back Fleet Street in 1870 according to the Established Church of Scotland. Would this have meant that there wasn't a church there at all at that time? I think that I mentioned that I was told Back Fleet Street was now Catherine Street but that you had a slightly different opinion?

I will let you know if I find any others.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 February 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I remember writing to you about Back Fleet Street.
It was very common until comparatively recent times for marriages to take place in the bride's parents home rather than the church.  I know that a marriage took place in my cottage as recently as 1921.  An American couple called one day to take photos of it! 
Best wishes Mary

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
I have just checked my old posts. I do apologise I have repeated myself. It's age - my excuse!

If you are interested, for your history of Gatehouse. My Marshall family were on both 1841 and 1851 census records at Creetown in Spittall Lennie Barn and then the Carpet Mill Barn. As tinkers I can just image them trecking overland to Gatehouse, or maybe they went by boat?

Can't wait for our annual trip up to SW Scotland.

Regards,

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline jackie3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 09 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Callywoods,

Re your post of Feb.08 regarding the history of Gatehouse.  For your information, my Gt. Grandfather, Alexander McClure, was born about 1829 in Gatehouse.  His parents were John McClure, born abt. 1762 and Margaret Brown, born 1786.  To date I have not been able to find their marriage, but I suspect Margaret was his second wife, owing to the fact he was some 24 years older.  The 1841 census shows the family living in Fleet Street North.  John died in 1847 and Margaret died in 1850.  Very little information is known about John, although he was a Baillie, but other names associated with his children in Gatehouse are Clinton, McMurray and Porteous.

Regards,
Jackie

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 February 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I have come across your McClures before. John McClure was a mason of some repute and built some of the better houses in Gatehouse. He also owned some property.
My Gatehouse ancestors are McMurrays so I know that Nathan McMurray and his wife Margaret McClure ( daughter of John) lived next door in Fleet Street.
 Hope this is of interest.

Mary