Author Topic: Percival in Carlow  (Read 8462 times)

Offline CrystalRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Percival in Carlow
« on: Monday 10 January 05 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?? I have come across to Kate Percival.. (She my Great Grandmother) her father is Stephen Percival born in Carlow..
Any info grateful!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Percival in Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello CrystalRose,

There are two essential things that anyone who is prepared to assist in tracing your ancestors needs to know. You need a few dates to catch the eye of anyone who reads your message. Names and places are all very well, but....

I'm 66 this year. My great grandfather was born in 1844. There's no objection if you take a few years off your age. Would your great grandfather have been born about the same period, a little later or a little earlier ?

There may be a bit of hit and miss in ancestors in Ireland. Things would be made much easier if you could give an idea of the branch of the Christian faith followed by the Percival family.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
The Percivals in County Leitrim and County Longford were all Church of Ireland.   The earliest ones we can identify were Alexander born about 1775 and John born about 1795.  They were both constables at some time.   Why did they go to Ireland and where from?  Is there anyone out there who knows a lot about the constabulary?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
A little late..

Longford Journal Longford, Republic of Ireland

15 Jul 1899
DEATH OP MR A. PERCIVAL

DEATH OP A. PERCIVAL. We regret to announce the death Mr Alexander Percival, which took place his residence,iCrowdrumin, on the. inst. Mr Percival, who had attained the parriarchial age of 93 years, was universal favourite the County of Longford.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »

Longford Journal Longford, Republic of Ireland

19 May 1866
DEATH OF ALEX, PEKCIVAL, ESQ.. J.P

last his mansion, Templo-honse, this county. Deceased was eldest son of late Colonel Percival, who represented the county in Parliament for many years, Mr. Percival early age proceeded China, where ho accumnlatcd princely fortune the honourable pursuits

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
ongford Journal Longford, Republic of Ireland

17 Mar 1860
In 2i March c?’ = ' l ? the beloved wife „f Mr William Shaw. She was faithful consistent Christian,

long life, and died in sure and certain hope of a irlorlous tion. At Eanbcgs, near this town, 11, aged years, Mr. Alexvuler Percival, fanner. was one of three remaining of the old baronv constables our county, and enjoyed small pension since the forma tion

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Church Baptism, Marriage and Burial results for Perc*val  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01my3/

Don't dismiss Dublin ones as they are often hotel addresses!  At least 1 Longford one there...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
May 13, 1884, Page 5 The New York Times Archives

TIiOWA9 ARTHUR, youngest eon of Alexander Percival, F,sq., Crowdrontin Lodge, County Longford, Ireland. raged 28 years. Funeral from residence of

As per OCR!   ;D

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 18 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christopher and Hallmark, thank you so much for all the information you have put up.   I will go through it over the weekend ( Melbourne Cup long weekend here!!!).  It was so kind of you and I'm sure some of them will be related to us....I hope.
I looked at the list from Dublin but sadly no mention of birth of Alexander or John.
I've been working on this for 25 years.  Somewhere out there is an answer to where we came from before Ireland.  I know the first Percival seemed to come over with William the Conquerer but that's a lot of years unaccounted for!