Author Topic: Demolishing 16thC Graveyard  (Read 6932 times)

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Demolishing 16thC Graveyard
« on: Wednesday 27 February 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Plans have been re-submitted to destroy 16th Century Graveyard for a developer to build houses.
The Church in Wales can't afford to maintain the grounds, so have decided to sell.

http://www.tonyrefail.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1109

There is plenty of other land available for housing in the area.

From July 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/843126.stm

What action can be taken to prevent such a diabolical act from going ahead ?  Has anyone had any success in opposing such developments ?

Planning reference: 07/2195/13
Planning department e-mail: PlanningServices[---at---]rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Demolishing 16thC Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 08 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have not yet read through all your links , but I find it astounding that anyone would want to disturb these graves ...even more disturbing is that there is land available for the new housing development ...

This is so sad ...I do not have any ties with Wales ...all my ancestors come from Cornwall and Devon, Uk ... I would be willing to contribute to saving of these very old graves ...

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 08 08:26 GMT (UK) »

What action can be taken to prevent such a diabolical act from going ahead ?  Has anyone had any success in opposing such developments ?

Planning reference: 07/2195/13
Planning department e-mail: PlanningServices@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk

I think it is disgusting that they could be allowed to even attempt to build on a grave yard and what will they do with all the head stones?
I do now that they don't know were all the graves are as the records goto destroyed, I will definitely be sending an email to the plan office to object, the thing is thought we have only got till the March 3rd to do it.
I also think that the more that email the plan office the more change of it not happening.

Please if you think its wrong then email.

Vicky.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.
Counties: Glamorgan, Monmouth, Gloucester, Brecon, Hereford,

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 08 08:45 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth while to try and get local geneaologists to take the information from the stones. May as well preserve the information if we can't save the graveyard.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 08 10:32 GMT (UK) »

Petitions are no good - e.mail or write! and get everyone you know to do the same.

It's a fact of life today that nothingis sacred any longer...everyone's just chasing the money
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Greg18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 February 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone i live opposite the graveyard and have for over 10 years along with other residents and ones who have family buried there tried to have the graveyard tidied up. The Church say this is the best way as they have no money despite being told there are grants and lottery funding available for such schemes. In 2000 the council refused planning but on appeal they overturned the decision the reason being that the graveyard was included in the Local Plan as a site for future development for housing the council feared being hit with a massive claim for compensation, none of us had ever heard of this local plan otherwise there would have been objections.  Only 2 months ago the local vicar said they had no plans to develop the site and that they would clean it up grass it over and lay the gravestones flat or move them to the local Church St Davids this is for health and safety reasons, we now know this to be a lie. If you have property next to the graveyard you have until 3/3/2008 to object, yesterday 28/2/2008 a poster was put up saying if you had objections you have 21 days from this date why the different time scale i do not know.  In 1989 39 graves were removed and the road widened after people who have children attending the local primary school campained for a pavement as none existed this for their safety if this plan goes ahead this pavement will partly be removed for access thus making the children cross 3 busy road junctions and a busy access lane

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Rather late to campaign on this.  As someone who has successfully helped with local campaigns before (not about cemetries, but the same sort of thing), I have a few suggestions.

Email your local MP and Welsh AM if you live in the area.  They do take notice, but generally only respond to their own constituents. Try and get EVERYONE you can to do this.  They (or their researchers) do take notice of volumes of mail on a topic.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4018047?CID=DG_FEB_08&TYPE=sponsoredsearch

http://www.writetothem.com/

I have used both these sites and they work and are safe. Write a short, pithy letter in your own words, add contact details even if it is an email.

Contact the local papers and/or radio and TV.  They are usually desperate for news and just love stories like this.  Best to phone the newsdesk (they will be there tonight and tomorrow am) or second best email them. Get as many people to do this too.

Contact your local councillors. Their phone numbers will be on the internet on the local council site.  Call them tonight or tomorrow morning. That is what they are for.

Stress the late appearance of the notices, there may be mileage in this.

One or two people usually end up doing the donkeywork.  We did it to get a 30mph limit - and we got it!! Also re broadband and to oppose a phone mast.  Luckily for the latter we had a lawyer on board, she was brilliant.

I feel strongly that we have to stick up for what is right.  A few local Mums proved that it CAN work.  And it is fun.

I will email the MP to say I might have a relative there - I have not done my Welsh tree yet....

BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
This disgusts me and I shall be writing to the MP.

How do we expect to teach the generations that follow about respect, when there are adults now who are more interested in making money than respecting the dead and their families.

Very sad.

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 March 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I tried to register to that site but no e-mail as yet.  ???

Just a few things i can think of at the moment.

I suspect, that due to permission already been given in 1985. you may have hit a stumbling block. The best way to stop this, would be to find a 'point of law'.
You'll need to go through all the paper work from previous applications.

If anyone could go through archives of the church and land, area, deeds, titles, etc., to see if there's a covenant or other documents which prohibits building on the land.

People to get in touch with:
Cadw.
"Cadw is the historic environment service of the Welsh Assembly Government. 'Cadw' (pronounced cad-oo) is a Welsh word meaning 'to keep'."

"We aim to protect the historic environment of Wales by working with partners and private owners."
http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/

Prince Charles (for all, some people don't like him) he does keep banging on about protecting your heritage. Get a letter off to him, (recorded delivery) you might get his support or he might put you in touch with the 'correct people' to help.

Write to and try to get as many celebrities behind the campaign as possible, Tom Jones, Griff Reece Jones, Huw Edwards etc., You'll also get more media coverage this way.

I don't know if the welsh local elections are due, but if they are, get someone to stand as the "St Johns Church, Llantrisant Road Heritage Party" or something like that :P and get people to vote with their feet to show the council you mean business.

Regards
Rewcastle