Author Topic: Chat Room  (Read 17146 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Chat Room
« on: Thursday 28 February 08 01:20 GMT (UK) »
I went to the chat room a couple times today. I've never really gone there and now I know why  ::) (It's a tad addictive, eh?). but, I was in common room 1 and couldn't move to another room. What do I need to do to move to the other rooms?

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Chat Room
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 08 04:18 GMT (UK) »
HI Kath Mc

Yes , addictive :) at the top of the screen in chat you will see Common room 1, click on there and the rest of the rooms headings will drop down from it, click on the one you want, most newbie's  to the room , myself included wandered through the other rooms. There will probably be no one in them as Common room 1 is used mostly.

regards

lil

Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 08 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind if I hijack your post Kath, but can anyone answer a few questions for me please?
I went into the rootschat chatroom once and someone spoke to me, so I left immediately  :o. Never been in any other chatrooms ever ....

It is mainly family history discussed in there, or anything and everything?
What is the busiest time? (I'm in Australia)
How many people are usually in there?
Are they the same people who post on the boards / different people, or a combination?
Why are there several rooms? Is there usually just one conversation per room going on, or many? (I believe this can get confusing?)

Thanks for any answers and thanks Kath  ;).

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 08 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I can't answer why the other rooms are there and it is common for new people to leave with out answering those who speak to them. Common Room 1 is mainly used.
It's a genealogy room, where people will advise and if can search for information for you. Sometimes due to making friends in there the conversation roles on to general chat. The members are  combination of board users and people who use mainly chat. I am mainly in at night and many Aussie's are in then. I'm a Kiwi and we are on Daylight Savings Time.

Do Try to come back in again. Type in the box at the bottom of the screen and enter. There are some lovely friendly helpful people in there.

Regards

lil

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 08 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation lil .... I actually DID answer the person who spoke to me - I said I had to go (which was half true)  ;).
I'll give it another try.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 08 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I know how Ruskie feels.  I went there once, and was barely in for a second when I was 'pounced' on, before I could even work out what was the routine.  It took me by surprise so I came straight out. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 08 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Silvery,
Do go back in there as the people in there don't bite and are really friendly ;D. I know what you mean when you say that you were "pounced upon" as soon as you entered as it tends to happen like that at times, as it did with me when I first ventured into the chatroom and, like Ruskie and yourself, I disappeared quite quickly but returned later. You, or anyone else who ventures in the chatroom for the first time, can always say your hello's as you enter and "sit in the corner" so to speak and watch the proceedings for a short spell so that you can get the idea of what is happening. It can get a bit daunting when there are many in there and the lines just keep on coming but if you follow one thread in a certain colour then you will soon get the hang of it.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 08 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I know how Ruskie feels.  I went there once, and was barely in for a second when I was 'pounced' on, before I could even work out what was the routine.  It took me by surprise so I came straight out. 

Hi silvery, people in the chat room do not mean to scare people away , it is just that we try to make folks welcome as soon as possible. Plus some folks don't know what to say or how to use the chat room , so we try to help them. there are people from all round the world in there at differant times. Some people who go into the chat room never use this side of Rootschat and the same can be said of some people in here, they never use the chat room. I think to get the most out of Rootschat, it is best to try and use both places. You will find we do talk about family history most of the time but when no one needs help we just talk about anything and everything. Also, if you need a "LOOK-UP " it can be much quicker to use the chat room as it is live and you will get your answar much faster ( hope that does not up set any one on her  :( ) As all "LOOK-UPS " in here have to be of your own work , this means you have to write every thing down and can not copy and paste it like you can in the chatroom. I hope you both find time to call back and give us another try, we are a great bunch in there.
Migky ;)

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 February 08 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Well said old rowley and miggy. 

Silvery Ruskey , pleased that you have explained how you feel. It is over whelming but intentions from those in the room are friendly.and to make you feel welcome.

lil