Author Topic: Intruiging puzzle - unknown mother  (Read 13030 times)

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Re: Intruiging puzzle - unknown mother
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 March 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I am hoping to get somewhere tomorrow, (local family history room I hope) tomorrow and look at the 1841 census.  I have also emailed NSW BMD asking them why the record does not appear their records.  I will ring Qld State Library tomorrow and see if they have the church records, also Qld Gen. Society, but they are not open on Mondays.

So far as religious observance is concerned, there seems to be times when necessity overrides everything.   I have had families where the parents seem to have an allegiance to one faith, but the children have married all over the place.  Or they have stated one religion on their convict/immigration records, then married out of it.

However, as I said my idea of the adoptive parents is, at this stage,  no more than a theory, but it is of immense help to be able to toss ideas around with other people who have had experience, and can bring new thoughts, directions etc.  and of course stop one running away with some idea that doesn't fit.

So thanks all, will keep you posted, and will continue to look forward to your input.

Acookey.
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

After much going round in circles, I have the following information, given to me by GSQ (Genealogical Society of Qld)

NSW BMD retrieved church records and transcribed them to their records.  However, later some more records were discovered and instead of adding them, BMD gave the records to SAGS (Society of Australian Genealogists), who now hold them.

There may be records in NSW State Library, but I am not sure. 

I am in contact with SAGS and will see what happens.  They do document retrieval for $7.50.  It is worth looking at their catalogue and doing a record search, I found 1891 census record for Edward Cullen.

Will let you all know the next episode in this saga.

Acookey
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi ACookey,

I just wanted to comment (a bit late I know but unfortunately I can't spend all day on the computer) on Ambly's suggestion of change of religion for the Cullens.  This might not necessarily be so as there are two St Matthews Churches at Windsor.  One is the famous Greenaway Anglican but for some reason the much smaller Roman Catholic Church built c1840 around the corner was also named St Matthews.  This Parish Register has been transcribed and the entries are on the NSW BDMs.  A copy of the Parish Register itself is at the Mitchell Library in Sydney. 

My Roman Catholic convict was married in St Matthews at Windsor and had children baptised there and it led me on a merry dance until I found out that both Churches at Windsor were named St Matthews.  I'm sure they do it just to make the search a bit harder  ::) ::) ::)

Andcarred

Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andcarred

I too was thoroughy confused by the two St Matthews at Windsor.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be figuring in the James/ Edward Cullen mystery.  I will just have to wait and see what SAGS comes up with.

Acookey
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I should have asked before, what records are the ones that SAG holds that are not on the NSW BDMs.  Do you happen to know what Churches they are for?

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No I don't know specifically which churches they are for, I am just going on what the lady at GSQ said.  She looked to see if they St Mary's records for that time, but didn't, thats when she told me the story of the church records that came to light later on.  Whether they were just St. Marys Cathedral, I don't know.

If you go into sags catalogue and put in church and registers and australia you get 98 hits, not all of which are churches, but some of the churches are notated as Australian Socieity of Genealogists.  Others dont have that notation next to them.  Whether that means something or not I don't know.

Maybe someone else knows something about this.

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just went had another look.  Where it is notated as Socieity of Australian Genealogists, it seems to be part of the joint copying project.  But there are quite a few churches that don't have anything.  I note in one of the St. Mary's records the dates that Edward's birth would fall into.

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 March 08 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I have the marriage certificate for Edward Cullen and Jane Harrison who were married at the RC St Matthews, Windsor on 8.8.1853.  This puts him age 20.  The certificate that I have was issued to other family researchers in 1988, and does not show who gave permission for Edward's marriage, and I suppose also for Jane. 

Does anyone have access to church records who could look this up for me.  I am waiting with great impatience to see what comes from SAG but I don't think it is going to be quick.

I wonder whether I should post this as an new look, what do you think?

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 March 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Your query kind of follows on from the above, but if you posted it as a new lookup, you might attract attention from others who are not following this thread and might be able to help!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland