Author Topic: George Percy WOOD - merchant  (Read 19058 times)

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Percy WOOD - merchant
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 October 12 07:46 BST (UK) »
I am a "Tackaberry" researcher and Elizabeth Putz,otherwise Tackaberry and daughter to the Rev, Fossey Tackaberry married Dr. richard Hand Wood,widower,of Sligo.
Elizabeth had a daughter from her prior marriage "Helena" and named children:

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 October 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
I am a "Tackaberry" researcher and Elizabeth Putz,otherwise Tackaberry and daughter to the Rev. Fossey Tackaberry married Dr. Richard Hand Wood,widower,of Sligo.
Elizabeth had a daughter from her prior marriage "Helena" and named children:
Constance Mary
Richard Hand
Edith Elizabeth
Lambert George
Florence Tackaberry
William Noble
Wally in Sunnybank Queensland

Offline Bump

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 October 12 08:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Wally,
Thanks for the reply. Actually via the grapevine I have known you are a Tackaberry Wood researcher.I do have the 6 children of Richard and Elizabeth, but I didn't know that Elizabeth had a child from her previous marriage to Robert Putz. Where did you find that? And have you proven that her marriage to Robert was in Minnesota. Was Fossey Tackaberry working there at the time as that particular marriage record says that Elizabeth was born there also. I have not been able to find a birth for her in Ireland so maybe this is so? What happened to the child?
I have all the children of George Wood and Mary Hand (Richard's parents- haven't been able to find his birth except that it was in Skreen) and have their marriage in Dublin, but haven't been able to go back further than that. Do you have anything going further back?
With regards,
Joanne.

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 October 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Joanne,
Thanks for your message and the only reason that I posted a reply was when I saw the name of "Helena" and realised that this was too much of a co-incidence especially when an,unknown, Aunt was mentioned.
When Elizabeth Wood passed away in Dublin, 1908,
the informant was Helena Putz and which I assumed was Elizabeth's unmarried daughter with Robert Putz.
From "The Tackaberrys":
"Another Revenue Officer was George Wood,the father of Dr. Richard Hand Wood,of Sligo,widower,who married Elizabeth Putz(nee: Tackaberry)widow,daughter of the Rev. Fossey Tackaberry and Eliza Johnston,who had married Robert Putz in Stillwater,Washington County,Minnesota,24 September 1855 and which is where her sister,Jane C(probably for "Cranwill") Tackaberry died,3 October 1900(age 70),father "Fossey" mother "Johnston"and being born,at Drogheda,Louth,and christened Methodist,17 June 1829".
My view is that the two sisters went to America as their Uncle was there being the Rev. John Cranwill Tackaberry and maybe something will turn up linking his preaching circuit with Washington County,Minnesota.
It seems that Richard Hand Wood married a "Rebecca" in 1834 and where there were no children.
The following names seem to be on the "Wood/Hand" side:
Lambert
Noble
I noticed a "Florence" as well being Florence Tackaberry Wood.
Regards
Wally

Offline Bump

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 October 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Wally,
How are you connected?
I think Helena was one of Elizabeth (Tackaberry) Wood's sisters who may have lived in London. I must admit I have not checked out the Tackaberry family really.
Richard Hand Wood did marry Rebecca Anderson Nee?? in 1834 (Rebecaa had been married before to a Mr.Anderson C1821 and had a daughter Catherine born C1822) Catherine was living with Richard and Rebecca in the 1841 Irish Census (which I got from the Crossle papers) as aged 19, unmarried and stepdaughter. They didn't have any children of their own.

I thought I had read somewhere about Fossey T going to America, but am not sure where and I din't take that much notice at the time.

Lambert does come up quite frequently in the Wood family -I have 2 as a first name and a couple as middle names with the lot who went to Australia.
With regards,
Joanne.

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 October 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Joanne,
In 1963 my Grandma passed away in Broken Hill, New South Wales, aged 93 and, around 10 years later a one page, in the old English, was found in her possessions and believed torn from the family bible by her father, George Godkin, when he left Ireland. The first item being Elizabeth Godkin bapt. April 14,1574 and which covered her family being at Smalley in the Heanor area of Derbyshire and before the move to Ireland. This started my "Godkin" family research and which has placed all "Godkin" families in the world. Along the way I picked up much research on families that had married into the "Godkins" one, of which, was the "Tackaberrys" so, for something to do, decided on writing a history on the "Tackaberrys" and the families that they married into and, so far, about 80 pages.
"Helena" is not one of Elizabeth Tackaberry's sisters and, as clear as one can be on these matters, is Helena Putz, daughter of Elizabeth Tackaberry.
The Rev. Fossey Tackaberry was at Sligo and never went to America only his brother the Rev. John Cranwill Tackaberry.
Regards from Sunny Queensland,
Wally

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 October 12 03:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Joanne,
It seems that Helena Putz, who was the informant, of Hospital, Andover, Hampshire, on Elizabeth Wood's death certificate, was shown, in the 1901 UK Census, at that address, and as being born at Naturalined, Germany, c.1865.
As this is after Elizabeth's marriage to Robert Putz (24 September 1855) then we need Robert's date of death and where.
Regards
Wally

Moderator Note: spaces added between words & punctuation to make the post easier to read

Offline woodzy_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 October 12 03:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Joanne,
In 1963 my Grandma passed away in Broken Hill, New South Wales, aged 93 and, around 10 years later a one page, in the old English, was found in her possessions and believed torn from the family bible by her father, George Godkin, when he left Ireland. The first item being Elizabeth Godkin bapt. April 14,1574 and which covered her family being at Smalley in the Heanor area of Derbyshire and before the move to Ireland. This started my "Godkin" family research and which has placed all "Godkin" families in the world. Along the way I picked up much research on families that had married into the "Godkins" one, of which, was the "Tackaberrys" so, for something to do, decided on writing a history on the "Tackaberrys" and the families that they married into and, so far, about 80 pages.
"Helena" is not one of Elizabeth Tackaberry's sisters and, as clear as one can be on these matters, is Helena Putz, daughter of Elizabeth Tackaberry.
The Rev. Fossey Tackaberry was at Sligo and never went to America only his brother the Rev. John Cranwill Tackaberry.
Regards from Sunny Queensland,
Wally

Sorry for butting in as my research doesn't extend as far as yourself and Bump/Joanne.
THIS IS AMAZING! What a gem of a find that would have been.

Do you have the page now or has it dissapeared?
Most people I come accross, remember having such papers or photos, only to find a relative that didn't realise what they had or understand it and subsequently threw them away.

It's nice to think these people are remembered and so interesting so many years on.

Regards
Woodzy

Offline wally mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 October 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
Dear "Woodzy",
Yes!
We still have the page and had to have it translated.Mary Corden had married Henry Godkin and,when she died,May 1605,Henry re-married to Elizabeth Corden in November of 1605 and who was the "Elizabeth" bap. April14,1574.The one page was up to 1641.
Regards from a very hot Queensland
Wally