Author Topic: Dead end - James & Patience KING - COMPLETED  (Read 15720 times)

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end - James & Patience King
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 14:35 BST (UK) »
I've tried to put into some order the information we have on children

Alfred - not found after 1851
William not found after 1851
Sarah not found after 1851-there is a marriage Dec qtr 1852 Williton 5c 610 n same page Sarah King James Harris Richard Nation ( ruled out Richard Nation but cannot find a Sarah harris who would "fit".
Robert not found after 1851
Thomas not found after 1871
John not found after 1851
Frances not found after 1861
Mary J not found after 1861
Maria not found after 1841 - although there is a marriage in 1850 to (possibly ) Richard Parsons - although I can nly find a maria of correct age p.o.b. married to a Thomas Parsons?

Grandson Alfred W King married Bessie Lansdon -Bessie died Dec qtr 1895 Williton age 30. 1891 had daughter Minnie age 1 -  in 1901 Minnie is living with her Lansden grandparents.  1901 Alfred still farming -widower children Frances mary 9, William 7, Florence 6

Suz

all baptised brompton ralph to parents alfred william king and bessie-
minnie bapt 6th feb 1890
frances mary bapt 30th july 1891
william bapt 18th may 1893
florence mary bapt 18th nov 1894

burial for bessie king aged 30yrs at brompton ralph on the 26th nov 1895 abode listed as hele farm
hope this helps?
regarads
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end - James & Patience KING - COMPLETED
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 June 11 05:06 BST (UK) »
Rachel / Alli
Rachel have sent you a personal email with my my home email details so photo can be sent. great info. however it has thrown a huge spanner in my works. Question William father of Alfred William when did marry Miss Williams? because I have goofed up, I have him married in 1859 to a Jane Maria Baker & lots of kids  :(
We have 2 ..Alfred W KING's born 1862.  London.  In 1871, 1 was with Patience White (KING) (grandmother) our definate line... the other b. HOXTON, LONDON 1862, was in Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales, with a Bernard Branfill (Patience had a nephew ..Bernard ;D) & mother..Martha KING ???m. entry for them lists his father as Richard, which is correct. its worth jumping to both 1871 census's & looking just for a smile. All the POB's & ages match.  HOWEVER Alfred cannot be in 2 places at once. I am assuming the Census was taken on the same night in the UK.
In 1881 a Bernard Branfill was living with them in England.
I guess he was in 2 places, The 1871 census that has Alfred William in Wales also has the brother of Martha King with them, his name john WILLIAMS ;D
Martha Williams b. 1832 Solva Wales parents William Williams & Elizabeth,  :-\
Interesting note: her marriage to Bernard Branfill states her father as "James KING", Williams father  ??? i will now look for a definate marriage to William however something doesnt add up. regards Vicki
Cannon, King, Cole, Sansom, Heaton, McDonald, McKinnon, Mcqueen, Tape, Gash

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 June 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

William (father rather than Alfred William son) married Miss williams. I knew she came from pembrokeshire (solva is in pembrokeshire, wales) so that ties in.  I dont know her first name but if it was Martha, at that time she would have been Martha King.  She went back to wales (Llandaff is in south wales, part of cardiff) after william died. However, miss williams remarried/got togehter with somebody else, and had more children girls. I know that alfred william lived in Somerset but had contact with his mother and step father and step sisters, and his brother (called william, or robert william) who I think was in Wales, so it could be alfred william went and stayed with them, and was taken by a relative, which may have been bernard branfill. 

William didnt marry a Baker, I am sure of that.

there is a  Bernard Branfill who is brother of Patience King, who lived with her towards the end of Bernards life. I think his son was Walter Branfill.

I am not at home until the weekend, but will definitely send the photo then.

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 June 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Also fogot to say.

Patience was initially Branfill, then married James King who died, then married Mr White.

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel, got your email look forward to the photo & further emails.  Ok so it looks like I scratch Jane Baker & all the kids. Will try to find when /where William died. Martha Williams married Bernard William Branfill/field, b. 1830 Huish Champflower, Somerset. Son of Richard Branfill/field & Sarah Shopland. Richard was Patience's brother. (Bernard was Patience's nephew). I have 3 children for Bernard & Martha. Elizabeth b. 1867, Richard b. 1870, Edith b.1873.  Found with Bernard on the 1881 Wales Census.
Patience brother Bernard b. 1802, I have as unmarried  ::) (1841 - 1871 Census) but a widow on the 1881 Census ..... & i do not have a Walter so will look further. I have a fair bit on my Branfill/field, King direct lines & I am now up to filling in the uncles/aunts lines. Very tricky this family all the male christian names repeated that is all the brothers called their sons their brothers names, this went down a few generations, so a lot of williams, Bernards, Richards, Daniels etc. regards Vicki

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think that you are right. Martha williams appears to have married william king, then had

Alfred William 1862
(Robert) William 1864 - who used both names william king/ and William Branfill> I notice on 1871 census (Robert) William is listed as 17 when I think he should be 7. 

Then in 1865 Martha married Bernard Branfill (presumably cousin of William king)
and had the 3 children.

Martha seemed to die aged 47 in Swansea estimate 1879 , which would explain why she is missing from 1881 census.

I am guessing Martha King used William Kings fathers details on her marriage certificate, maybe she thought she had joined his family now.

Rachel

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Alfred William 1862
(Robert) William 1864 - who used both names william king/ and William Branfill> I notice on 1871 census (Robert) William is listed as 17 when I think he should be 7.
This sheds some light couldnt work out why the age gap between them now I can search for marriage / death of William around those years. This is bugging me. Bernard was indeed a cousin of Williams.
Will chat/send any further info via your personal email now that we have made contact. Vicki

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have a little in Patience's parents William Branfield and Mary Pearse of Clatworthy.
My main interest lies in her brother Charles Branfield who married Hannah Shopland. Their son Richard came to Victoria in 1853, followed by three sisters in 1860.

May be one of his King relatives sent home word of the riches to be made on the Victorian goldfields!!!!!!!

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End