Author Topic: GOODBRAND/FLETT/THAIN  (Read 2857 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GOODBRAND/FLETT/THAIN
« on: Thursday 28 February 08 23:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I'm looking for information on JANE FLETT ch 27th June 1809 in Findochty. She was the daughter of ALEXANDER FLETT and HELEN THAIN. Her husband was JAMES GOODBRAND and I'm also looking for his parents.

A big "Thank You" in advance to anyone who can help.

Val

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline FinechtyFletts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: GOODBRAND/FLETT/THAIN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 March 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Jane Flett's lineage is a problem I encountered many years ago when I compiled my Flett Descendancy Chart listing the first five generations of Findochty Fletts. You will find the link to the chart on our website on the genealogy page.

Beneath the chart are listed a number of names I was unable to trace back with any certainty. One of these is Jane's father Alexander Flett. My opinion is that he was the son of James Flett & Jean Prott and born c.1785, but I can't prove it. I am also of the opinion that the Alexander Flett who married Helen Thain was also the same Alexander Flett who married Anne Flett in 1810. Unfortunately he died before 1841 and so there is no census information or death certificate to prove this. If I'm right then Helen Thain must have died soon after Jane was born and with a young child to care for an early second marriage for Alexander would have been a viable option.

Jane Flett & James Goodbrand were married in Portknockie, Cullen parish, in 1827 and had sons John, Alexander and George there. Around 1834/5 the family moved to Portsoy, settling in the Seatown part of the village as James was a fisherman. The 1852 census names further children, Helen, Isabel and Mary and the Scottish Church Records names a Margaret born in 1852.

James died in 1874. His death certificate names only his father, fisherman John Goodbrand. The informant was his son George. I believe that James was the son of John Goodbrand and Elspet Wilson of Portknockie, a family that I researched a number of years ago for a Flett descendant who contacted me for assistance in unravelling his family tree. James was born 21 March 1805 and christened on 23rd in Portknockie.

If you want a copy of James's DC and any other sources that you feel relevant you can email me from our website's genealogy page.

Charles

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline barnicoatg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: GOODBRAND/FLETT/THAIN
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 June 08 11:23 BST (UK) »
charles I have done a lot of work on the Flett Line and have copies of the Old Parish minutes that go back to 1721 if you in terested let us contact...My direct email is; * ....Guy
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php