Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52493 times)

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 May 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for the offer, you are very kind :)

My great grandfather William Waller Stapleton 1841-1917 was a chemist and postmaster in Shefford, Bedfordshire.

Sometime in the 1890s, the family abruptly left Shefford, moving to Bedford, and he never worked again.

My question is: Is it possible to discover whether there was any legal reason why this move was necessary and, if so, what happened?

Thank you

Mark :)

Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jlvolker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane-

Wondering if you could tell me a little more about the Register of Pharmaceutical Chemists and Chemists and Druggists.  I found a copy of the register online that was  published in 1885.  I am looking for William Williams.  Do happen to have access to one that was published before 1877 (when he died)? He was a druggist/chemist according to the 1861 and 1871 census records.  If you don't have access, do you know who might?  Thanks for any help you can provide.   I appreciate it.

Jenny in Arizona

Offline esther2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, jlvolker, Jenny in Arizona,
I see you are looking for a William Williams, died 1877.  You say you found him in the 1861 and 1871 census.... in the 1871 census, did he have an apprentice named William Pilkington Knight?  If so, he is the same one I have posted an enquiry about, about 3 up the list from yours.  The apprentice is one of my line, and I wondered what had happened to his employ.  In the 1881 census my fellow was still a druggist assistant, but living with his wife, so I didn't know W.W, had died, if it is the same person. 
Sandra, Yorkshire

Offline jlvolker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
I think they are two different people.  On the 1871 Wales Census, William Williams resided in Wm. Rogers House on Ruthin Road in Coedpoeth (Ecclesiastical Parish or District of Minera), Bersham, Denbighshire, Wales.  He lived alone and was a widower.  The John Owens family lived on one side of him and the Griffith Evans family on the other.

Offline esther2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, sorry we do not match up.  Didn't think to mention that my enquiry was in Liverpool.  Good luck with your search.... it gets you out of the Arizona heat, anyway!! 

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 18 June 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi jlvolker

I happen to have a copy of the 1875 register in front of me (I'm researching my ancester who is a Chemist and Druggist).

I have found your William Williams in it, registered at the time at High Street, Coedpoeth, Denbighshire.  The entry gives his date of registration as 31st December 1868, which is the initial date of compulsary registration under the Pharmaceutical Act of 1868.  There is also a note in the qualification column that he was in business before August 1st 1868, which probably means that he didn't take an examination.

I hope this helps  :)

Also, Jane, if you are still around here, I have the entry in the Register of my ancestor John Middleton of Lambeth - what more can I hope to find in the Royal Society Library?

Offline jlvolker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 18 June 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I really appreciate it.

Jenny

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 18 June 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

This is a very generous offer. I'd be really grateful if you could help throw some light on my mysterious great-grandfather, David G Macdougal, born 1885 in Dumfries. He is shown on all documents as a pharmaceutical chemist. We believed he had his own business, but this seems a bit uncertain.

Some time before 1901 the family moved from Kilmarnock to Hull. They are on the 1901 census. In 1905 Kelly's directory gives him as a chemist's assistant. Although he didn't die till 1915 I can't find him on the 1911 census. Family stories say he'd split with his wife, who is living with her children in Hull.

Would it be possible to find if he was still working as a chemist in 1911? Or even whether he actually was qualified?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Lesley

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Beximus

Have you still got the register ??? ???

I'm after William Waller Stapleton in Shefford, Beds.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Mark :)
Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk